Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mission control stacks my open windows. I don't want them stacked

I want to see all my open windows so that I can select the one I want to bring to the front. At the moment, when when I hit F1 to see them all, they're stacked one behind the the other for each application.

Which is totally useless. If I'm working on 10 open files in (say) MSWord, I need to be able to see what they all are! Can anyone help?

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 2:16 AM

29 replies

Jul 26, 2011 3:18 AM in response to s_coope

I don't get this. I have assigned F1 to Mission Control, F2 to Application Windows, and F3 to "Show Desktop". there don't seem to be any other options.

I am currently running Mail, Adobe Acrobat, MS Word, Safari, and System Preferences.

When I hit F2 (Application Windows) all I see is Safari. All other apps are hidden.

When I hit F1 (Mission Control) I see all my open apps and open windows, but the application windows are all stacked one behind the other. I want to see them all individually.

How do I do this?

Jul 26, 2011 3:22 AM in response to s_coope

I just tried this with several PDFs opened in Preview. If I opened Mission Control (Control Arrow Up) then all the documents in Preview were stacked. But if I opened Application windows (Control Arrow Down) then you see the individual documents as s_coope stated. You can check this in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Mission Control.

Jul 26, 2011 3:30 AM in response to PAHU

Well, I think I've tried all the options I can. There's no way I can get all my open windows to display individually. They all display stacked one behind the other, for each application. And what's worse, they're so small I can hardly see them (and I'm working on a 20" Apple Cinema Display).

Any more suggestions? NB I need to hit ONE KEY only not two. But it still doesn't work when I hit an F key plus shift. All I get in that case is a veeerryy sloooow spread of all my open windows - and they remain stacked.

Jul 26, 2011 3:34 AM in response to Tom in London

Tom,

Application windows only exposes the windows for the application you are currently using. So if you are using Safari at the time you press the button, you will see the Safari windows all spread out. If you are in Finder, you will see all your Finder windows spread out.

I don't know how well it will work with Word mind you.

Misson Control also only displays the windows for the Desktop in which your current application is using. You need to use ctrl and the arrow keys to switch between them whilst staying in Mission Control.

I haven't got used to all this yet. I never really used Expose or Spaces anyway because I found ⌘-tab and a click of the mouse quicker.

I am going to persevere though.

Jul 26, 2011 3:41 AM in response to IanB

Ian- yes, alas this seems to be another step *back*, not forward, for the Mac OS. As you say, I can see all my open files tiled, but only for one application at a time. That's completely useless for the way I work. I think this ends the discussion but doesn't end my disgust with the pinheads who rewrote the OS for Lion. Do they ever actually do any work themselves?

Thanks guys!

Jul 26, 2011 3:48 AM in response to Tom in London

Tom in London wrote:

Ian- yes, alas this seems to be another step *back*, not forward, for the Mac OS. As you say, I can see all my open files tiled, but only for one application at a time. That's completely useless for the way I work. I think this ends the discussion but doesn't end my disgust with the pinheads who rewrote the OS for Lion. Do they ever actually do any work themselves?

Well I can understand you getting frustrated by the fact that features seem to be taken away. I'm a little less quick to condem and open to experimenting.

I've been using Mac's since they used floppy disks and I've experienced lots of changes over the years. In my experience it is a bit of a rough ride when they tweak the GUI, especially when they replace an older design or introduce a new metaphor for working.

What exactly is it you want to do quickly?

Mission control stacks my open windows. I don't want them stacked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.