Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy Files Fails after 3.5.1 Update

Hi All

Dutifully updated to 3.5.1

Since then Copy file seems to fail.

Tried this on variuous machines and various files to copy withuot success.

Anyone encountering the same or have a fix ?

Kind Regards

Eric

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 4:59 AM

26 replies

Aug 14, 2011 5:52 AM in response to AllenfromCA

Hi Allen

Read through that thread and ran a scan within ARD and realised that it's a whole reange of services that aren't happening. ARD is simply not communicating with the clients.

At the same time it's not universal.

I have two other installations of ARD Admin including one on my laptop on the same network that work fine.

So it's coming down to one machine which I need to think through when I get a bit of time.

Kind Regards

Eric

Aug 20, 2011 12:34 PM in response to ericfromspr

I have the same issue - the range of things it won't do is copy, install packages, and scan a network range. Will scan bonjour. Am running 3.5 on SL - but has been doing fine for as long as the update has been out - months?. Started shortly after adding one Lion server to our network. Our only Lion. How about you ericfromspr - got Lion?. Uninstalled ARD and reinstalled - fixed it. For about an hour. This time it stopped working while trying to copy file to that Lion server. Uninstalled, reinstalled, fixed. For maybe two hours this time - Lion server not directly involved in anything this time - other than being on the scanned network. Like you, 10.4 computer next to me with ARD 3.4 working OK. Are your other two computers 3.5?

Aug 22, 2011 12:40 AM in response to chicster

Hi chicster,

I can't fathiom it.

I have two machines.

One MacPro Quadcore Xeon Dual Processors 2.8 GHz

The other a Macbook Pro i7

Both have ARD Agent 3.5.1 and Remote Desktop 3.5 and are running 10.6.8

Both going to a machine with ARD 3.4 and 10.6.8. Macbook copies files no problem. Macpro cannot get the file processsed to begin the transfer and times out.

If I delete a machine to re-add it I can't. Gone forever from the list and scan returns a nil to the ip range

No Lions on our network anywhere.

Kind Regards

Eric

Aug 22, 2011 8:41 AM in response to ericfromspr

Eric,

Yeah, very frustrating. If you need to add machines on your local net,

Bonjour still works - at least it does for me and on another thread with the

same problem. Now, thanks for blowing my Lion theory! If I get a fix, I'll

be sure to let you know.

You are right about the nil result in scans -- it is pretty dramatic -

normally I get a quite a few responses from things like switches that show

up. Of course they can't be controlled or anything, but they show up as an

ip address. Now, they obviously don't have ARD client installed, so for

them to quit showing up also says to me the problem is definitely at the

admin end.

Today I have brought in a computer from home running 10.6.8 and 3.5.1 just

to see how it does. It did fine over the weekend running through our

firewall.

Chic

Aug 22, 2011 6:04 PM in response to whodywei

Well whodywei, you got me to thinking. I found you can just delete the RemoteDesktop.plist out of the user Preferences and get the same effect. Things would work fine - of course, the plist has the computer lists, etc. Now, when I imported computer lists, that is what reverted me to having the problem again. I did it multiple times - and the lists weren't correct or even consistent - one time the all computer was 267 computers, the next time 350. I did do another admin account thing and it worked also - although it also would fail when importing lists. Or at least the all computer list. Well, not happy about losing the lists, but, glad to have it working again and it won't be too hard to get the lists back. Thanks for the tip. But still crossing my fingers - if it happened once, why not again?

Sep 2, 2011 9:51 AM in response to ericfromspr

I think I found what is going on with the copy failures. I was looking at my plist file for ARD and it listed incorrect IP information for the Task Server which should be the computer you are using ARD on unless you are using a remote task server. So here's what I did to fix the copy issue on mine...

Open ARD. Go to Remote Desktop, preferences, Task Server. Change it to use a remote task server. You can just put in dummy info here or simply your own computer IP. Then simply switch it back to "Use task server on this computer". Close preferences and then try copying to a remote machine.

Please report back to this thread whether or not this worked or didn't work. It worked on the one instance of ARD that I had with this problem. I just want to make sure this fix isn't a fluke. Hope it works for everyone else.

Copy Files Fails after 3.5.1 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.