Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hang since Safari Update 5.0.6 with Leopard 10.5.8

Dear fellows

Since having installed the latest automatic update to Safari 5.0.6 some days ago, it got more or less impossible to work with the browser as it often hangs without reason, e.g. no problem with the websites itselves. As well, loading the sites takes much much longer than before.

Only way to get out of these annoying situations is, to shut the non reacting Safari down is by ending it immediately.

I did also notice, that as well after waking up from sleep mode, Safari is often blocked / hanging. As well a problem that I never had before the update.

I am wondering, if someone else got the same problems and most important, what I can do to get rid of these nasty new Safari habits.

Is there eventually a possibility to switch back to 5.0.5?

Looking forward to a helping advice.

Peter

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 6:13 AM

2 replies

Jul 26, 2011 10:32 AM in response to Peter88

If your Safari keeps crashing, or if you are updating Safari (or just have) and it is misbehaving:

N.B. Never delete Safari, never run it under Rosetta, don't use proxy settings, and don't change the application's name or move it from the top level of the Applications Folder to a sub-folder.

(If you prefer to download updates via Software Update in the Apple menu (which would ensure that the correct version for your Mac was being downloaded), it is not recommended to allow SU to install major (or even minor) updates automatically. Set Software Update to just download the updater without immediately installing it. There is always the possibility that the combined download and install (which can be a lengthy process) might be interrupted by a power outage or your cat walking across the keyboard, and an interrupted install will almost certainly cause havoc. Once it is downloaded, you can install at a time that suits you. You should make a backup copy of the updater on a CD in case you ever need a reinstall. Alternatively you can download Safari directly:

Safari 4.1.3 for Tiger can be downloaded here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1069

Safari 5.0.6 for Leopard can be downloaded from here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1422

Safari 5.1 for Snow Leopard can be downloaded from here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1070

Make sure you download the correct version for your system.

Also, observe the recommended procedure for installing software: repair permissions and close all applications, install, then repair permissions again.

Input Managers and other plug-ins from third parties can do as much harm as good. They use a security loophole to reach right into your applications' code and change that code as the application starts up. If Safari is crashing, the very first thing to do is clear out your InputManagers folders (both in your own Library and in the top-level Library), log out and log back in, and try again.

So, disable all third party add-ons before updating Safari, as they may not have been updated yet for the new version. Add them back one by one. If something goes awry, remove it again and check on the software manufacturer's website for news of an update to match your version of Safari. Remember: Tiger uses Safari 4.1.3, Leopard uses Safari 5.0.6, and Snow Leopard uses version 5.1. If these latest versions of Safari are not the fastest browser you have ever used, then something is wrong!

(Trying to revert to a previous version of Safari can have repercussions, as previous versions of Safari used a completely different webkit on which other applications like iChat, Mail, Dashboard Widgets etc also rely, but if you really want to do this post back for instructions on the safe way to do so.)

Most errors reported here after an update are due to an unrepaired or undetected inherent fault in the system, and/or a third party ad-on. Add-ons that have been frequently mentioned here, among others, for causing such problems are Piclens, Saft, AcidSearch and Pithhelmet, and the dreaded CT Toolbar. If you have them, trash them and go the developer's sites to see if new versions are available for the latest version of Safari on your current operating system.

You must also ensure that you have downloaded and installed all the correct versions of Security Updates for your Mac. These require a restart and a permission repair.

To reiterate, Input Managers reach right into an application and alter its code. This puts the behavior of the affected application outside the control and responsibility of its developers: a recipe for problems. That's not to say that issues absolutely will ensue as a result of Input Managers, but you, as a user, must decide. If the functionality of a specific Input Manager or set thereof is really important to you, you may well choose to assume the associated risk.

Again, the advice is to remove all Input Managers from the following directories:

• Hard Disk/Library/InputManagers
  • Home/Library/InputManagers

especially prior to system updates and updates to Safari (they can always be added back one-by-one later).

Lastly, the Safari updates require a restart of your Mac, and sometimes even a double restart is required.

Jul 26, 2011 1:48 PM in response to Klaus1

Hello Klaus

Thanks for the long reply, but it does not help:

1. Downloads are always done from the official source (software actualisation, the icon down in dock. First they are shown in a window and then I can decide which ones should be installed by leaving the box ticked or remove the tick in the box if I do not want it. So two steps). All the latest recommended upgrades have been done. I think it was on Monday morning, I did it. I just rechecked again. All the software is on the latest update / upgrade.

2. During installation, no other applications are open, afterwards a restart is done. There was as well no power-brake down during this process (no cat's with four legs at home...), which I do always follow in front of the screen to see if there might be any strange messages or any other "happenings".

3. I have no idea what third party add-ons (?) there should be, better say, should not be. I do not even know the ones mentioned by their name. I do for sure not have any of these installed. There is no InputManagers folder in my Library.

4. I thought about going back to 5.0.5 from a save made last week, because none of the problems I have now occured then / before 5.0.6.

5. I restarted my iMac G5 since upgrades already twice.

6. Proxy settings?

Kind regards, Peter

Hang since Safari Update 5.0.6 with Leopard 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.