Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean install necessary?

I have had a new iMac since the 2nd week of June 2011 (last month), by far the best computer I have ever owned. Though I am enjoying Snow Leopard, I am considering upgrading to Lion.

I have very little data on the iMac so far, and have not even imported and photo or video files or other personal data as yet, so really nothing to back up. I have only installed a few 3rd party apps such as Skype, AppFresh, ClamXav, Firefox, and I had ordered it with the iWorks suite preinstalled.

My question for all of you Apple veterans is, do i really need to do a clean install of Lion, or would it be acceptable to just download it from the AppStore?

My SN is totally up to date, including the most recent SN Supplimental Update, and the large iWorks update.

Thanks so much for your help and input!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 27" 2.7GHz Quad i5 12GB mem 1TB

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 11:28 AM

14 replies

Jul 26, 2011 12:09 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Allan...if I do just the download from the AppStore with Snow Leopard installed as it is, will I have to manually re-download things like Skype, AppFresh, ClamXav, Dropbox, etc., or will they still be there, just now under the Lion OS?

Thanks!

(I know these are real rookie questions, but I am just a beginner, but willing to learn all I can).

Jul 26, 2011 2:24 PM in response to Narnian7

Hi there,

I too was browsing before deciding on upgrading my iMac to leopard. I did back ups and just upgraded, no clean install. Everything worked seamless. Didn't lose any data and all my apps are still there, emails, etc. It was the simplest upgrade I have EVER done. 🙂

There's my vote for clean install NOT required! 🙂

I DID however, make a bootable DVD of Lion once I downloaded it and before I installed. Just in case!

Clean install necessary?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.