Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why was the MacBook Air discontinued?

Does Apple no longer care about the entry-level user who needs an all-in-one?

Is Apple really saying, "If you want a laptop that can play or burn DVDs and CDs, or a laptop that has enough room to store music and movies, either pay $1200, or you're not good enough for a Mac"?

This is a stunning slap in the face to Mac fans on a budget. This really is the Apple elitism that (formerly) irrational Apple-haters go on about.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 11:36 AM

34 replies

Jul 26, 2011 12:22 PM in response to Kappy

A smaller version of the MacBook Pro? Where do I find that? It's not in store.apple.com.

I'm sorry if you feel my posting a discussion about the products Apple offers in the Apple Discussion forums is inappropriate. Where would you suggest is the appropriate place to discuss with other Apple users the discontinuation of the MacBook?

And by the way, there's a big difference between "don't want to spend the money" and "can no longer afford the Apple product I need."

What Apple is saying by discontinuing the MacBook is, "If you want a laptop with enough storage for media and a drive for playing and burning CDs and DVDs for under $1000, we're not interested in your business."

Jul 26, 2011 12:35 PM in response to 100 Watt Walrus

Look here. The 13" MBP is what replaced the MacBook.

If you wish to complain about Apple's products and policies there are numerous other web sites devoted to that purpose. Just not this one. If you read the Terms of Use when you joined here then you would already know that.

If you cannot afford the computer you want, then you will have to buy a computer you don't want but that sells for less. Or you might shop for a refurbished Mac or even a used one. There are other alternatives. You can also do without until you've saved the money needed for what you want. This is what the rest of us do. Got a charge card? Charge the computer to your card and them make monthly payments. Or opt to purchase from Apple using time payments. It's a purchase option on their store site.

In the end you can purchase what you want and pay the price, buy a different product that's less expensive, or do nothing but complain about it. Just please don't complain about it on these forums.

Jul 26, 2011 1:13 PM in response to Kappy

How can a product that was already on the market, co-existing at a higher price point with the discontinued product, be a "replacement" for the discontinued product?

As for whether or not this question is appropriate for the Apple Discussion forums, I see nothing in the TOS that suggests it's against the rules to discuss the availability of Apple products in the Apple Disucssion forums, or that it's against the rules to have a negative opinion of a decission Apple has made.

It seems to me the best place to discuss a company's products is in the company forum — or at least that's the way it is with every other computer-related product I've ever used. Sometimes such discussions will include opinions different from your own.

Perhaps you're saying that these forums are only for the discussion of technical problems? If that's the case, I'll be happy to take my concerns about the discontinuation of the MacBook to another section of discussions.apple.com where users may discuss larger issues, like Apple's corporate philosophy and the availability of products. Just point the way.

Or are you suggesting such discussions should not be allowed anywhere near Apple.com on principle, to protect Apple from criticism by its own userbase?

Jul 30, 2011 10:26 AM in response to 100 Watt Walrus

Is Kappy just being awkward for the sake of being awkward.....you clearly have no idea what you're talking about!

The MacBook has been discontinued and it hasn't been replaced by the 13" MBP. I can't help but notice you posted a link to the Mac Store only to further prove you are wrong - '100 Watt Walrus' couldn't be more right in saying "How can a product that was already on the market, co-existing at a higher price point with the discontinued product, be a "replacement" for the discontinued product?"

You have truly dug yourself into a hole and are unable to climb out without making an apology. Normally i wouldn't reply to a post like this but your obvious stupidity could not be ignored.

Big up to 100 Watt Walrus!

Jul 31, 2011 4:18 AM in response to Carlson Mun

I agree with Carlson Mun - the refurb is a good option if you want a machine that's been used and overhauled - let's face it, they've only been sitting in a store somewhere demonstrating Pages or something - and you can get 15% discount if you're lucky. I believe they are also guarateed for a year, but not sure if you can buy Apple care to extend that on a refurb. A good starting option, though. No-one ever said Apple was cheap, but you really pay for what you get, in spite of the technical gripes we sometimes encounter here!

Actually, I just bought a new white Macbook from the Apple store in London and it hasn't been discontinued. They're still a popular option - I'm not ready for a Book without a drive at the moment.

Perhaps not all stores hold them ( I saw one recently in Switzerland, they only had Airs ) but if you go to an Apple store they should be able to tell you what's available or not. Personally, I wouldn't recommend the Financing option from Apple though - I may be wrong, but I'm sure I saw something like 17% interest on there p/a - if you're not able to buy a Mac because of price restrictions in the first place, you probably don't want to be attracting large interest payments either. Anyway, up to you.

Good luck.

Jul 31, 2011 5:48 AM in response to Minchy

Thanks Carlson and Minchy, but I'm not personally in the market (Mid-2009 MBP doing just fine). I am, however, tech support and computer advisor for about 30 friends and extended family, and I can't think of a single one who would be a native Air or MBP customer. They're all MacBook people, and will have no option in that range the next time they're in the market.

Everyone one of them is a casual user with a lot of music and photos, most of whom watch DVDs and other video on the computer. The Air won't work for them because the entry-level model has only 64GB of storage (I know for a fact that at least 4 of them have over 60GB of apps and data on their machines now), and has only an 11" screen, which would feel like a significant downgrade.

So now they're stuck paying at least an extra (and entirely unnecessary) $200 for an MBP, when all they need is a MacBook. This is the laptop equivlent of The Gap discontinuing Medium sized T-Shirts.

Jul 31, 2011 12:37 PM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:

Apple's market research indicated that the typical MacBook user never burned any DVDs or CDs and hardly read them either. Apple though that future customers would prefer a < 3 lb notebook that ran for 7 hours instead of having the ability to burn or read disk 3 times a year. If you must have a drive, you can buy one for $79.

Did their market research also show the typical MacBook user would prefer a 2" smaller screen, no option to expand your hard-wired 2GB RAM, a slower processor, and a 75% smaller hard drive (barely big enough for Lion OS, an average number of apps, and a typical music library) for the same price?

And by the way, the $999 MacBook Air has a 5-hour battery — two hours less than the discontinued MacBook.

So other than being a couple pounds lighter, what's was it again that "market research" indicates? I doubt it's that people want to pay the same price for far, far less computer.

Jul 31, 2011 12:47 PM in response to 100 Watt Walrus

Market research ..... ask a select few to get the answers you want...when you get the answers you want stop asking.

Apple discontinued the Macbook I guess due to lack of sales and high returns underwarranty. It was only the aluminium unibody Macbook which seemed to be relatively defect free (construction wise), which got dropped and merged into the MachBook Pro range within months of release. Apple only sell what they want you to buy, watch the ipod range change over the coming months/year as sales don't mirror that of the iphone and ipads.

Why was the MacBook Air discontinued?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.