Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail running +100% of my CPU!

Every since I installed Snow Leopard and then Lion on Sunday, Mail has been taking up over 100% of my CPU. Even when I go offline, when I turn off my wireless, it runs over 100% of my CPU.

I run a lot of RSS feeds through Mail - a couple hundred. I like seeing web posts as I see mail - to have everything in one stream. This was never a problem before I installed Snow Leopard and Lion - Mail was fast before. Now when I open "Activity" it seems to check feeds much slower than before.

I turned off all sharing, no MobileMe. It's making me feel like I'm working underwater, everything is sluggish and slow, mail is constantly not responding, and I get the spinning wheel all the time. Why is this happening?

For what it's worth - Address Book is incredibly slow as well.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 1:35 PM

39 replies

Aug 9, 2011 7:10 AM in response to mikeschinkel

I fixed this issue, albeit, not in an elegant manner. In my frustration with the new mail, I tried to copy the binaries and dylibs (otool -L) for the snow leopard version of mail to my lion install. It eventually worked after finding all the correct dylibs. However, it crashed frequently, and I had to revert back to lion's mail. When lion's mail was re-opened, it re-imported all my mail and the issue disappeared.

I know this isn't a solution isn't pretty. If you try this, be sure to make backups of everything.

Good Luck.

T

Aug 12, 2011 5:20 AM in response to Mac OS 9000

32-bit mode doesn't seem to change the amount of CPU time being used - still in the 110+% range when browsing - very slowly - through RSS feeds in Mail. Each message seems to take seconds to load, unlike SL which seemed to take milliseconds..... Unworkable.

Interestingly, the MS Outlook client reads mail messages faster than Mail does.

Mail running +100% of my CPU!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.