Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2007 iMac 24" boot failure

Yesterday, my iMac stopped booting. On power up, I get 1/2 of the normal chime, a split-second (1/10s or less) partial display of the gray loader screen, and then both the sound and display cut and it powers off.

I've tried:

1. Checking breakers and surge suppressors for problems, including swapping the iMac to different outlets - no effect
  2. Waiting a day to see if transient heat problems were a factor - no effect
  3. Reset PRAM (Cmd-Option-P-R with Power). No signals, same 1/2 chime, flicker, shutdown
  4. Removed all devices except the USB keyboard/mouse - no effect
  5. Put in my Install Disc and held down C to attempt a load from CD - no effect

My suspicion is that I may have a power supply or motherboard failure. I don't want to spend $49 with support only to tell me it's gonna cost $800 to repair on top of it.

Any thoughts?

Steve

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 2:03 PM

While the boot from CD didn't work, did you try holding the alt key to see if you could get into the Apple hardware test?

Did you try a safe boot by holding the shift key down as you boot?

If this is an Intel iMac, did you try an SMC reset?

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2011 2:03 PM in response to steve.down

While the boot from CD didn't work, did you try holding the alt key to see if you could get into the Apple hardware test?

Did you try a safe boot by holding the shift key down as you boot?

If this is an Intel iMac, did you try an SMC reset?

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Mar 18, 2014 7:32 AM in response to steve.down

Hi Steve,

I know that it's been a few years since you posted this, but I have a 24" iMac and your case and symptoms sounds exactly the same. I too, tried all the keystrokes and nothing, replace HD and nothing. I'm thinking about replacing the power supply, as I suspect that may be the problem.

What did you do to resolve the issue with your iMac?

2007 iMac 24" boot failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.