Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail 5 Lion - IMAP connection problem

I have Mail 5 configured with several accounts, POP and IMAP. All works fine with one important exception . . . my work IMAP account does not check for mail except when the application is initially opened. The other IMAP and POP accounts update fine.

I have deleted the account, re-booted my MacBook Pro 13 and then re-installed the account with no success. If I close and restart the application, I get mail but only at application start, and only with this one IMAP account.

I upgraded from Snow Leopard, clean migration with just a few problem, with this being the biggest pain. My IT looked at it and are stumped as they deleted/re-sinstalled the account w/ similar lack of success.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 5:54 PM

40 replies

Jul 27, 2011 3:28 PM in response to wkb007

I'm having the same problem (since installing Lion). I have two IMAP accounts through GoDaddy and one MobileMe account. MobileMe works fine but the IMAP accounts do not refresh with new mail unless I quit Mail and re-open. Frustrating because both IMAP accounts are for business email. I've tried manually retrieving mail (by selecting "Get Mail") and have adjusted the mail account settings but no luck. If someone has a quick fix, please let us know. 🙂

Jul 29, 2011 7:19 AM in response to MileHiGuy66

UPDATE 2: Apparently, deleting both IMAP accounts and re-adding them did NOT fix the problem (as I reported last night). Just can't figure it out. Everything seemed to be fine yesterday and now today I had to quit Mail and re-open to get new IMAP emails pulled down from the godaddy server (as I reported on July 27th). Frustrating. Has anyone found a solution?

Aug 1, 2011 1:12 PM in response to MileHiGuy66

I'm having same problem. From July 25th after installing Lion I have had problems with syncing with my IMAP.

It started out with I could read the mails on my iPhone and iPad - but I didn't receive them on my MacBook. Now I can't even see them anymore on my iPhone or iPad eventhough I haven't deleted them. The mails have simply just dissapeared out in the blue.

How can such a thing happen??? It is totally frustrating!!!!!!

Aug 4, 2011 7:47 AM in response to Michael Wayne

Checked settings on my two IMAP and one MobileMe account. Identidcal to yours. I've turned options on and off with no luck. My MobileMe account works fine. Both IMAP accounts don't. As others have said, I have to quit Mail and re-open in order to pull all messages from IMAP server. (I can hit Get Mail action all day long and that doesn't do it.) I should note that some messages do come through on their own from time to time without quiting/reopening Mail. Cannot figure out why some do and others don't. I can see the messages on my iPhone that have been sitting in the IMAP mailbox for hours...yet Mac Mail doesn't. (Again, MobileMe works fine. It's the IMAP accounts that don't.) I presume this is a Lion issue???

Aug 4, 2011 8:49 AM in response to MileHiGuy66

OK lets try and get things sorted...

1. Ensure you have the correct "incoming and outgoing" details entered and in particular the settings in the Outgoing Mail server (SMTP) section reflects that the 'Use only this server' tick box is checked.

It is very important that your IMAP account only uses the "dedicated server from your Internet mailbox account provider". There is a hidden "edit" menu here that needs to be checked and for you to confirm the settings are as your provider settings.

I for example have a few GMX accounts. They are fantastic and are superb on IMAP.

Some times (don't ask me why) settings get changed. I had the problem after changing to Lion but after fiddling around and ensuring every thing was sound I then discovered an issue.

Key Chains.....

I suggest that you delete the keys relevant to your respective email accounts and do not enter the passwords in the Mail 'Account Information' window where you can see the list of accounts on intial set up of an account.

Now, if you can and aren't going to loose any sensitive mails, start from scratch as you would normally do but omit the " Enter password" section.

When you enable or connect for the fist time the pop up window will as you for a password and it wil give you the option to "Save password in Keychain" .....tick the box and you should be connected.

This section is a "Maybe"....

Now if you have another programme such as Outlook (which I have) and you need to use it as well then in the key chain where the new key has been lodged you can open it and select on Access control.

Therein you will find an icon of the programme that is using that key. You can add another application to it as well if you wish. Once done you see a window asking you to confirm. Click Yes.

Any how you should be working now. I also suggest you only add one mail box at a time. Set your first one to sync every 15 minutes. annd 30 minutes later add 2nd mailbox. I only suggest this as it allows you to concentrate on one thing at a time. Of course you can hit "Get Mail" any time to test as well.

Give it a go and report back..

Michael

Aug 4, 2011 9:44 AM in response to wkb007

Michael, a slight variation on this seems to have worked for me. I reviewed my account and it didn't have 'Use only this server' checked so I checked it. I went into Keychain and deleted the password for my Imap account. I went back to my mail account and deleted the password and then closed down mail. On close down it asked me for my Imap account password which I entered. I then restarted mail and it appears to be working as normal. I will post again when I have some more definitive evidence. I seem to recall other Keychain related issues (not specifically with Mail) when going to Leopard from Tiger.

Mac Mail 5 Lion - IMAP connection problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.