Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have corrected the datestamps in my photos but the old, wrong dates still get exported to Flickr

I have been pulling a load of old photos off film using a film scanner and into iPhoto and then manually fixing the date-stamps. I have been very careful to check the box to update the original photo and the corrected date shows fine in iPhoto.

But when I export the photo to flickr it somehow exports the original (ie wrong) date (which is the date the film was scanned, not the date the photo was taken).

This is clearly a bug in the export. I am surprised that iPhoto even keeps a record of the old date as I have told it to update the date in the original photo.

I ahve 4000+ scans of photos to process and don't fancy the idea of having to manually go and edit the dates in Flickr for each one (especially as I have been manually fixing the dates already in iPhoto)

Can anyone suggest a fix, or is thise something I need to hope Apple will address.

Cheers

Dave

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 6:02 PM

10 replies

Jul 26, 2011 11:07 PM in response to Dave Sag

Photo dates and times come from the Exif metadata of the Photograph, written to the file by the camera. This is what iPhoto reads, this is what Flickr reads.

When there is no Exif the apps resort to the next available date: the File creation date.

Scanned images do not have Exif. So there is no way to correct the date in metadata, so the apps revert to the File Creation date.

You need to cheat and correct the file creation date.

Regards

TD

Jul 27, 2011 12:37 AM in response to Yer_Man

That's what I expetced iPhoto to do when I checked the "modify original photo" box. I have 4000+ such photos that I am importing directly off the CDs that Kodak have sent me and it seems unreasonable to expect me to manually pick through those files in the Finder and somehow hack the creation dates.

I regard it as a bug in iPhoto. Surely it can't be hard for iPhoto to be fixed / ammended to write in new XIF info.

Failing that does anyone know of a better way to export photos from iPhoto to Flickr?

D

Jul 27, 2011 3:05 AM in response to Dave Sag

Feel free to regard it as a bug in iPhoto. You'll be surprised how many photo apps share that "bug". The simple fact of the matter is that these apps edit the Exif and your files don't have an Exif.

There are many utilities that will change the file creation date.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11143/a-better-finder-attributes

Is one, but there are others. Search on MacUpdate

Jul 27, 2011 5:43 AM in response to Yer_Man

Interesting. So I checked out ABFA as recommended but it looks like I'll have to wade through the files in my Pictures folder, work out which 4000 photos (out of the 25000 or so I have) have the wrong dates, manually change the date information using ABFA (in batches of probably at most 5 or 10 cos there is typically only 5 to 10 shots per individual day) and then, with luck, iPhoto will notice I've changed the XIF info. If not then I guess I need to delete the photos from iPhoto, manually fix the XIF info (again! - it's taken weeks to update this info in iPhoto already so I am not eager to manually go through them all again, comparing the dates on the backs of my prints with the files in the finder) and then reimport them into iPhoto, losing the crops, tags and other adjustments I have made along the way. I'm sure you can see why that's not exactly exciting me.

So let's call this a feature request then. Put simply, if I update the datestamp in iPhoto and check the "modify original photo" box, I'd like iPhoto to insert the XIF information for me.

Out of curiosity, where does iPhoto keep that info if not in the XIF info of the photo? What's the little "modify the original photo" checkbox for if not to actually insert the new data into the original file?

What's weird is that iPhoto happily displays the new datestamp info, (sure it may not be stored in the photo) so why can't it just slip it in when exporting to flickr? I think the solution here is a smarter flickr exporter. Any suggestions?

Jul 27, 2011 5:52 AM in response to Dave Sag

1. It's Exif not XIF

2. If you change the File Creation Date with ABFA you'll be changing the File Creation Date, not the Exif date - because a: you don't have Exif to chnage and b: you're chaning the File Creation Date.

3. So, iPhoto won't "notice" you've changed the "XIF" because you haven't.

Your problem is down to a very simple issue. You're working with files that don't have the appropriate metadata. End of.iPhoto and other photo apps are optimied for working with the output from Digital Cameras. Working with other materials means compromise. Does your life depend on these dates? Could you not - for instance - add them to the title?

The data is preserved in the Main Library database.

There are other flickr uploaders. I have no idea if they will be more successful. Search on MacUpdate

Regards

TD

Jul 27, 2011 6:05 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for your advice TD, I could only find one other iPhoto to flickr exporter and that hasn't been updated since iPhoto 4 but I'll go look some more. Shame you can't do boolean searches in MacUpdate eh, it would be nice to be able to search for iPhoto AND flickr.

In the meantime if anyone else has any better suggestions I'm all ears. (I have my fingers crossed, maybe someone's written a clever applescript that injects the data from iPhoto into the original pic (as the checkbox option implies)

In answer to your question, no my life does not depend on these dates beign right, but, as I've already gone to all the trouble of correcting the dates in iPhoto it would be nice if those dates would also turn up correctly in Flickr. It really doesn't seem much to ask. They seem like clever people at Apple, I'm sure they could add a few lines of code to iPhoto to inject the 'Exif' info into the original images.

In the meantime Id like to keep this issue flagged as un-answered in case someone else has some bright ideas.

Cheers

D

Aug 1, 2011 2:49 PM in response to Dave Sag

Interestingly enough when I export the same photos to Facebook using iPhoto the correct date info (ie the date info I have set in iPhoto) is respected.

The iphoto to flickr exporter does export the GPS info I added in afterwards, so I can't see it's that hard to also respect the date / time changes I have made.

I am now on the hunt for a script that will go through my iphoto library and create any missing or bogus exif info where it does not exist or match the datestamp settings I have set up in iPhoto.

In the meantime if anyone else has suggestions I am all ears.

Cheers

D

Aug 1, 2011 7:26 PM in response to Old Toad

Cool utility! I have done as you suggested and interestingly enough it seems there is Exif info there!.

Camera-Specific Properties: Equipment Make: NORITSU KOKI Camera Model: QSS-29_31 Camera Software: QuickTime 7.7.1 Image-Specific Properties: Image Orientation: Top, Left-Hand Image Orientation: Top, Left-Hand Horizontal Resolution: 72 dpi Vertical Resolution: 72 dpi Image Created: 2011:07:30 21:57:50 Color Space Information: sRGB Image Width: 3591 Image Height: 2048 Other Properties: Resolution Unit: i Chrominance Comp Positioning: Centered Exif IFD Pointer: 248 Exif Version: 2.20 Image Generated: 2000:04:26 12:47:19 Image Digitized: 2000:04:26 12:47:19 Meaning of Each Comp: Unknown Focal Plane Res Unit: cm

So iPhoto has set the Image Generated date properly but it has not set the Image Created date. That's probably reasonable but it would be sensible of iPhoto's Flickr exporter to export the Image Generated date in preference to the Image Created date in that case.

But this certainly shows that Terrence Delvin's comments above were incorrect, as the files do indeed contain EXIF info. So that's some progress anyway.

My original thought that this is simply a bug in iPhoto's flickr exporter is hence quite valid. :-) How do I report that in such a way as someone from Apple will notice it? I assume that no Apple staff actually monitor these forums.

Cheers

Dave

Mar 3, 2015 4:40 PM in response to Dave Sag

This was an old post, but I'm having this exact issue with iPhoto 9.6. I scanned some old slides, imported them, then changed the dates and locations, making sure to check the box "modify original files." Everything looks good in iPhoto, but when I export them the modified dates aren't preserved. Importing back to iPhoto results in the date reverting to the date the slide was scanned. Even iPhoto doesn't recognize it's own dates!

I have corrected the datestamps in my photos but the old, wrong dates still get exported to Flickr

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.