Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion running slow on Macbook Pro Mid 2010

Every since I downloaded Lion from the app store I've notice programs running way slower and finding myself having to force quit them.. Also when I put my courser over the top menu bar it takes forever to recognize it.. Especailly when I hover over the wifi icon or volume.. Also when I go under the apple menu to shut down, it doesn't work I have to hold the power button.. Anyone else experiencing problems or no solutions? I think I'm going to put Snow Leopard back on it..

Macbook Pro Mid 2010

Processor: 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 10:47 PM

34 replies

Aug 2, 2011 5:02 PM in response to brandonfromgowen

You can try a few things before ditching Lion.

1. Open Applications/Utilities and run Disk Utility. Select your 'Macintosh HD' (or whatever you called it) and run the 'Repair Permissions'.
  2. Delete the ~Library/Caches folder. To get to your user Library that Apple hid, will need to open Finder; then click GO and press your OPTION key to display Library under your Home entry.
  3. Shutdown and clear your System Management Controller (SMC) by holding down the Option-Command-Shift and Power button for 10 seconds then release them. Power up.
  4. For lockups, if you have a version of Adobe Flash Player installed, uninstall it and try the Adobe Flash Player 11 beta (64bit). I'm currently using Adobe Flash Player version 10.3.181.34 which is 32bit and have not had any issues.

Aug 2, 2011 5:32 PM in response to keg55

Thank you very much for the tip. I have just reinstalled the Lion. I did a clean install (formatting the HD and etc.)

I took care with programs as Adobe Flash Player, Flip4Mac WMV and others that allow play videos. I'm using the Adobe Flash Player beta version and the MBP is running very fast.

I'm glad for being using Lion.

Aug 2, 2011 5:38 PM in response to brandonfromgowen

Kind of an unofficial survey.

I saw a post where someone thought slow issues were caused by not updating to 10.6.8. They reverted back, updated SL to 10.6.8, and then installed Lion and had no problems afterwards. Obviously, there's a lot of changes happening there, so tying it to not going to 10.6.8 first is rather shaky.

So, just interested what number of people having slowness issues went from 10.6.6 or 10.6.7?

Aug 4, 2011 10:02 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hey Barney,

I did the 10.6.8 before updated to Lion but still getting major slowness headache. To compound the problem, I'm running at 27" Cinema Display from my 2.53 Mhz 13" MBP. I'm guessing the extra animated eye candy of Lion is playing havoc with the integrated graphics on my machine. Anyone else having that problem?

Now I need to decide:

Clean install of Lion or revert to Snow Leopard...?

Just don't know is the graphics capabilities of my machine is up to running Lion on a 27"

Any thoughts appreciated.

Aug 21, 2011 1:40 PM in response to brandonfromgowen

I have an old MacBook Pro (17” Core 2 Duo)

Processor 2,33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Hukommelse 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Grafik ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 (11B26)

I purchased lion from app store (with worries due to the fact that my mac is old) and it updated it successfully. The next week was a pain, safari and firefox went sloooow, fan running for no reason, whell of fortune spinning, opening folder took forever etc.

Yippicayay! 🙂

I decided to do a clean install, and now my old mac is like new again. Everything is snappy and looking good.

;o)

Just to let you know.

Regards

Jan Storgaard

Denmark

Aug 30, 2011 10:44 PM in response to Jan Storgaard

Hi,

I have a late 2008 15" MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM. Since upgrading to Lion I have very similar issues with apps running slow, response times extended and even total feeze ups. I find the computer is running hot all the time and generaly not the reliable fast machine it was before lion install.

I have done a clean install of Lion now 3 times, but still the problems persist.

I have tried running TechTools but can never get the full analysis complete without the programme crashing.

Could it be a hardware issue?

atb

Anthony

Lion running slow on Macbook Pro Mid 2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.