Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Desktops Have Names Assigned in Lion?

Someone posted a screen shot of Mission Control with each Desktop along the top showing a name underneath. How does one assign a unique name to each Desktop, like Mail, Safari, Terminal, etc.? How does one show the names in Mission Control?

Mac OS X (10.7), iMacs, MacBook, and iPhone 4

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 10:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 11:03 PM

You can customize a photo with a name added and assign a different background photo to each new desktop.

Lion allows you to set a different desktop picture in each space.

All you need to do is open System Preferences in the first space whose desktop you want to change, open Desktop & Screen Saver, and select a picture.

Then enter Mission Control, drag System Preferences to another space, and go to it. Change the desktop picture here, and you'll find it only affects the current space. And these changes are maintained between restarts, even if you choose not to reopen windows when logging back in.

User uploaded file

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2011 11:03 PM in response to louiexiv

You can customize a photo with a name added and assign a different background photo to each new desktop.

Lion allows you to set a different desktop picture in each space.

All you need to do is open System Preferences in the first space whose desktop you want to change, open Desktop & Screen Saver, and select a picture.

Then enter Mission Control, drag System Preferences to another space, and go to it. Change the desktop picture here, and you'll find it only affects the current space. And these changes are maintained between restarts, even if you choose not to reopen windows when logging back in.

User uploaded file

Jul 26, 2011 11:20 PM in response to louiexiv

Mission Control spaces are named either Desktop, Desktop 2, Desltop 3, etc., or they are named for the full-screen app that “IS” the space. So those spaces named 'Mail', 'Safari', 'Terminal', etc. are simply those apps running in full-screen mode in that desktop.

There was a program called 'Hyperspaces' that allowed you to change the name of spaces in SL, but it isn't updated for Lion yet.

Nov 3, 2011 12:07 PM in response to Nathan74

I certainly hope that Apple will add the ability to name spaces and also the ability to drag and drop the order of the spaces and also to assign what programs are assigned to them. Mission Control can be made to be a flexible tool. It just seems it was not looked at as much from a user's day to day perspective. As it is now it will demo well at the Apple Store or Best Buy but when one roles up their sleaves to actually get day to day functionality there is quit a bit lacking.

Nov 16, 2011 10:45 AM in response to louiexiv

I would really love to have the ability to name spaces for their purpose, rather than whatever fullscreen application happens to be in a particular desktop. I work in multiple applications and organize my desktops by their function/task, not by application. For instance, I typically keep Mail, Address, iCal, and other generally used apps in Desktop 1, and use other desktops for other job tasks like recruiting, proposals, training, etc. Apple's decision that users should organize by applicaion strikes me as (shudder) Microsoft-like, a programmer's ideal that doesn't take into account how people actually work. If anybody from Apple is listening, I'd sure also like the little scroll arrows back, and it would be nice to have Dashboard show over the current Desktop like it did in Snow Leopard. Some features in Lion, Apple went overboard on the "clean screen idea, and took away a lot of things that helped my efficiency. Thinking about going back to Snow Leopard pending a fix on this "Beta" Lion.

May 11, 2012 4:22 PM in response to Chris from California

This comment is spot on. And I do hope Apple is listening. I would take this one step further and add this. I would like to see multiple instances of the same application in their separate spaces/desktops: browsers especially. I do this now, but gets easily muddled; there is not a clean enough separation.

I would also move between several functions, and "at work" space, an "at graduate school" space, a personal-projects space, and a mail/chat/twitter/address/calendar space. Applications that scan split between spaces would include the browsers (I use several), IDE/editors (e.g., eclipse, idea, textmate), and Terminal. Other apps might need to join this list.

Can Desktops Have Names Assigned in Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.