Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you adjust Magic Mouse scrolling sensitivity in Aperture?

Using Lion although this was an issue in SL too.

When I had a wheel mouse, using the wheel to scroll through photos in Viewer worked well; one click of the wheel moved forward/backward on photo.

Now I have a Magic Mouse and I find that the swipe action is way too senstive; I only have to move my finger slightly and it switches to the next/previous photo. It's so bad that moving my finger across the whole width of the mouse results in it moving back/forward by dozens of photos.

Aside from losing where I was, it takes ages for Aperture to catch up as it appears to process (I'm using raw) every photo it passes through.

I can't find anything in Aperture Preferences, but is there an undocumented pref that can be set/changed through Terminal?

MacBook Pro 15", 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB, Mac OS X (10.6), black iPhone 3GS 32GB, 32GB iPad

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 4:24 AM

9 replies

Jul 27, 2011 10:09 AM in response to parish_chap

You can adjust the scrolling speed in the Mouse System Prefs, iirc.

This is a known problem with the Magic Mouse. My adaptation (hardly a work-around) has been to avoid the MM when using Aperture, or to be very careful with my finger movement and never attempt to scroll with it.

It is maddening to lose one's place, and have to wait for Aperture to return control to the user.

I don't know of any undocumented prefs.

The Naga Razer 17-button Mouse is so useful with Aperture that I recommend it when appropriate. The sensitivity alone will change how you interact with the display. Search the forum, if interested, for my other comments on this mouse. (Just someone who found a good use for it. No relation to Naga other than having purchased a mouse.)

Jul 27, 2011 10:28 AM in response to parish_chap

In addition to Kirby's suggestion I have been using a program called MagicPrefs which gives a lot more control over the function of the magic mouse (as well as laptop trackpads and the Magic Trackpad)

Its free and may give you the control you are looking for with the magic mouse.

regards

Standard disclaimer, just a satisfied user of the program.

Jul 28, 2011 12:00 PM in response to parish_chap

Thanks everyone for your help. I've installed MagicPrefs which seem to have improved things as bit (set Gesture Triggering to harder).

I think that Apple should add prefs to Aperture to allow you to modify mouse bahviour. Personally, I like a couple of settings; one to define how far you need to move your finger on the mouse surface for it to be registered as a scroll action, and secondly, one to set no matter how far you swipe - even the full width of the MM or trackpad - it will still only scroll one photo forward or backward.

Mar 17, 2013 3:38 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank - thank you thank you thank you! I've been swearing at Aperture for years and this has fixed the problem is a swipe! I used the option to set the region of the surface of the MM lower down the mouse so that my attempts to click are no longer misinterpreted as scroll requests - now the images stay where they should in the scrolling view and the map stays at he zoom I set it at instead of zooming to no map data or out to world view.

Can you adjust Magic Mouse scrolling sensitivity in Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.