Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable the "restore last session" feature in safari 5

Hei folks,

I recently updated to OSX Lion and my Safari Version is Version 5.1 (7534.48.3).

Since this update when I close (cmd+q) Safari with one or more tabs open and start safari again the tabs are restored (opended automatically). This behaviour is very wrong to me as I almost never need the "old" tabs and actually want to instantly type the adress I want to go to which is only possible on a blank page.

How can I disable this behaviour/feature?

Thanks in advance

-Kunstbanause

PS: I looked through the options several times but could not find anything related.

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 7:04 AM

There is no set preferences in the system or application, but people have had luck using the solution here:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/26/dear-aunt-tuaw-help-me-fine-tune-session-window-r estores/

18 replies

Aug 18, 2011 9:49 AM in response to macmark2

WOW!!! There's no need for all that. That's just overkill right there!

Just disable the option that Apple provided and get on with your life.

If your truly stuck in a loop and that doesn't resolve it, you can do the following. FYI: This is also the answer to the question posted in your link at the very end. I've copied and pasted it for your convenience.

Question: If anyone knows of a startup key/mouse combination to avoid restoring from the Saved State file for a previously crashed application, I'd appreciate hearing how to do that. I searched and did not find anything.

Answer:

• Hold down the "Shift" key
  • Open/Click on Safari
  • Let go of the "Shift" key

Safari will now open in a new state.

Aug 18, 2011 10:50 AM in response to AppleDisapointedMe

No worries. 😎 I may have misunderstood the original poster. I assumed -- because this is what was irking me -- that he/she wanted to turn off the feature in Safari only. That's what I meant by no set preference for that. It's either all or nothing in system preferences. And the holding down a key option is a workaround, not really a solution.

Personally, I found using the terminal hint to be the best method until Apple incorporates a by-app solution.

How do I disable the "restore last session" feature in safari 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.