Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth causing System Preferences to hang in Lion?

just put Lion on 2 MacPros at work. on one of the machines, I'm getting a weird hang when connecting to Bluetooth. It'll connect (to my trackpad in this case), work for a few minutes and then stop working. But it also causes System Preferences to hang/crash. I can open SysPrefs but not click on any module. Also I get a beach ball in the menu bar for any Apple sys prefs. First time, i just restarted the comp and when it rebooted i got the "Bluetooth unavailable" icon (greyed out with the wavy line in it). Then I tried trashing the bluetooth prefs and resetting SMC, which allowed me to connect on reboot, but again it crapped out after a few minutes?

Any body else having this issue or had this issue with older OSes? To be honest I hadn't used Bluetooth very recently under Leopard or Snow Leopard, so i don' t know if the issue existed before the upgrade to Lion.

What about tryin gto reseat the Bluetooth antenna

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Early 2008 Quad-core

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 5:21 PM

Looks like it was a StartupItem issue.

Booted into Safe mode and System prefs worked fine. Just one-by-one narrowed it down to which Startup Item was the culprit.

1 reply

Bluetooth causing System Preferences to hang in Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.