Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting to percentage from any other format problem

Hi Folks,

I'm using Numbers and having a problem when formatting. For example, I have some cells which are formatted to $ or just numbers or whatever, and when I want to format those cells to %, the numbers which already existing on cells, changes drastically like from 15,89 to %1.589,54 instead %15,89.

Any solution for that?

Thanks in advance,

Ø3 🙂

MacPro Hapertown, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 8 cores

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 7:54 AM

10 replies

Jul 27, 2011 8:33 AM in response to Quantum3

Please, for two minutes, read carefully. 😉

For US readers, I answer using the asker's settings which means : use the decimal comma.

15,89 % is the number 0,1589

when you apply the percent format to the number 15,89 the application does exactly what you ask it to do and return 1589 % because 15,89 is 100 times 0,1589.

Next time, take care to what you ask.

Enter 0,1589 before applying the percent format and you will get 15,89%.

It was a new proof that often, the problem isn't the application but the user.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mercredi 27 juillet 2011 17:33:01

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.0

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

To be the AW6 successor, iWork MUST integrate a TRUE DB, not a list organizer !

Jul 27, 2011 9:03 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

The problem, Koenig, is that the numbers in the cell are the result of an operation, so I cannot change the values as you mentioned by double clicking on the cell, so I have to apply the format on the cell and there is when the problems comes out.

Next time, most of us would appreciate if you left your ego aside in the process of replying.

Thanks,

Ø3 🙂

Jul 27, 2011 9:12 AM in response to Quantum3

For the cells you know you want to show as a percent you can modify the formula to be divided by 100. after you apply the "%" formatting it will look like you want.

Indicentally... formatting as percent means taking the fraction of the number in the cell divided by a "whole" (or 1). this operation ends up multiplying the value in a cell by 100.

Wayne

Jul 27, 2011 9:55 AM in response to Quantum3

Quantum3 wrote:

The problem is that the numbers in the cell are the result of an operation, so I cannot change the values as you mentioned by double clicking on the cell, so I have to apply the format on the cell and there is when the problems comes out.

Then the real problem is that the operation returning those numbers is not calculating a percentage. Percent, literally translated from the Latin, means "per hundred".

25% means 25 per hundred

Written as a fraction, that's 25/100

Written as a decimal, 0.25

Written as a percent, 25%

Regards,

Barry

Jul 27, 2011 12:03 PM in response to Quantum3

Quantum3 wrote:

(1) The problem, Koenig, is that the numbers in the cell are the result of an operation, so I cannot change the values as you mentioned by double clicking on the cell, so I have to apply the format on the cell and there is when the problems comes out.

(2) Next time, most of us would appreciate if you left your ego aside in the process of replying.

(1) I guessed that you were able to understand by yourself that it was necessary to insert a division by 100 in your formula.

It appears that I was wrong.

(2) Next time, I would appreciate (I can't speak for others) that you drop this kind of comment.

As I already wrote several times, I write went I want, the way I want.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mercredi 27 juillet 2011 21:02:29

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Jul 27, 2011 12:28 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

"I write went I want, the way I want."

There is something called "politeness": respectful and considerate of other people. Which is the corner stone of any civilization, hence, of civiliced people. We humans tend to have more appreciation for people who's polite, and the opposite for those who are not. Therefore, polite people have more possibilities for surviving, then, unpolite ones just not.

A simple rule of thumbs that makes your life more pleaseful 😉

Thank you,

Ø3 🙂

Jul 27, 2011 3:50 PM in response to Quantum3

I'm really not interested by your opinion.

I repeat :

I'm really not really by your comments. Happily, life has an end !

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 28 juillet 2011 00:49:02

Jul 27, 2011 6:07 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

"

I'm really not interested by your opinion.

I repeat :

I'm really not really by your comments. Happily, life has an end !"

--

I just finished watching Dog Days Afternoon, an old film with Al Pacino. You remember me to Sonny, the protagonist of the film. So... how happily would be the end of your life? You know, if you watched the film, the end of it, and also, the end of Sonny are not so pleasent, in fact, it isn't at all so... which end of life do you refer to? Life ends since it begins, and everything on it. Why so angry with life? There is nothing you cannot change, you make your life, you know. If you don't like it, change it, not just like Sonny, who changed anything, just barked around. Step out from the self you have created of you and watch again. Possibilities are endless and you will think "how could I be so blind!". Just try to see before the sundown, or there won't be more light. You will still alive, but going your way groped along the emptyness, looking death, but without any sign of it and when you finally found it, you would like to scape, but's too late. So wake up man. You're just living a nightmare. That's all.

Ø3 🙂

Jul 28, 2011 1:39 AM in response to Quantum3

I like my life but don't wish to finish resembling to some askers here. It means that I don't wish to finish as a vegetable.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 28 juillet 2011 10:39:34

My iDisk is : <http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

Formatting to percentage from any other format problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.