Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my i-movie keep quiting before exporting of movie is finished. I cannot export at all! Help!

I am having trouble exporting any movies out of i-movie whether it is to i-dvd (which I am desparately needing), mobile me, quick time, etc. I-movie always crashes just before the exporting is complete and never gets exported. Please help. Thank you!

Mac OS X (10.6.8), i-movie 09

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 7:57 AM

14 replies

Jul 28, 2011 11:13 AM in response to barbarafromgrand prairie

Since all those options are crashing, is it also true if you go to Share > Movie and choose the Medium size and export to the desktop this fails too? If this crashes, double check how much free space is available on your Hard drive. To do this go to the desktop, hold down the Control key and click on the hard drive icon. Choose Get Info and then check the space listed under Available: xxx.xxGB

If that amount of free space is too small (say less than 1GB) it means you don't have enough room to Share anything out of iMovie. That's one obvious thing to look for right now.

Jul 28, 2011 2:45 PM in response to barbarafromgrand prairie

Yeah, that's pretty fundamentally broken. Something I've seen suggested at times includes throwing out the preferences file for iMovie so it can reset itself to default settings. More than likely that preference file sits in:

Library>Preferences folder and is named com.Apple.iMovie.plist

If you drag that file to the desktop. Launch iMovie and try another Share>Movie>Medium size to the desktop and see if it goes to the end. How long is the run-time of the video? Is it 15 minutes or hours and hours?

Jul 28, 2011 2:57 PM in response to barbarafromgrand prairie

The very last thing to try is to see if running iMovie from a different user account works.

Go the Control Panels, create a new user under Accounts, then login to that account. Copy a few video clips into iMovie Events Library, pull those into a project and do a quick Share > Export Movie to the desktop. It doesn't need to be more than a few seconds even to see if changing user accounts helps. Sometimes that can get around some corruption issues with the iMovie installation. If that fails, take it in. You will have exhausted every possibility at that point.

Sep 8, 2011 3:15 PM in response to barbarafromgrand prairie

I have the same problem, tried everything that's been suggested. I upgraded to Lion. Could that be the problem??? I loged into "Guest Account" and was able to use iMovie and burn a to a DVD. However, if you shutdown all files created are lost!

Crash Report shows:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000e902e885

Not sure at which line the problem occurs.

Why does my i-movie keep quiting before exporting of movie is finished. I cannot export at all! Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.