Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen sharing broken in Lion??

I've updated both my iMac and MacBook Air systems to Lion. Since the upgrade, I've not been able to share screens as I did previously. When connecting, I'm presented with a login window on the client system, and then a window saying "Receiving first screen..." However, it neve receives anything.

While the "Receiving first screen..." message is sitting on the client computer, the host computer has the icon for screen sharing show up on the menu bar, and it gives me the option to disconnect the ip address of the client computer. However, no screen is ever shared.

Is there some trick to making screen sharing work again now that I've upgraded?

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 10:10 AM

30 replies

Aug 11, 2011 9:08 PM in response to Samuel Lewis

I've been seeing the same thing. I have three computers all on Lion. Two are on a local network (home) and a third is on a remote network (work). The two computers on the local network can connect to each-other fine, and each of those computers can connect OUT to the work computer fine. But the work computer can't connect back to the other two, it just keeps getting the "Receiving first screen …" message.

Like the issue you describe while the "Receiving first screen …" message is being displayed the home computer will show the icon for screen sharing.

File sharing seems to work fine, it's just screen sharing that fails. I also have a Snow Leopard machine at work that I will try tomorrow to see if it can get past this annoying issue.

Aug 12, 2011 5:04 AM in response to Ampherion

Glad to know this isn't an isolated problem. I've been working with an Apple tech in an effort to identify the source of the problem. He's had me run the Apple Caputre Data program to capture packets when the problem occurs. However, there's something about the program that also seems to correct the problem, because the "Receiving first screen..." message never appears when running the Capture Data; the minute I stop the program, I get the Receiving first screen message again when attempting to connect.

I'll post more info as soon as it is available.

Aug 17, 2011 10:03 AM in response to Bob Jackins

I have the same Lion screen sharing problem (my office Pro can share with my home MBP but not the other way). Just upgraded to 10.7.1, same problem. When I turn the firewall off on the Pro (which causes my sysadmin to worry) all is fine, but turning it back on causes problems.

Here is what I see on the Pro console:

Aug 17 11:52:55 beck-mac Firewall[701]: Deny screensharingd connecting from 172.26.17.250:49158 to port 5900 proto=6

For firewall seetings,

SSH and Screen Sharing allow incoming connection (also ichat)

awacsd, kdc, netbiosd and smbd are blocked

Have tried playing with power settings and such, nada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Neal

Aug 19, 2011 5:04 AM in response to logicdw

Thanks.

The world (for me) has gotten curiouser and curiouser. Yesterday (before the above mail) I thought I would take one more try playing with the firewall. But after fearfully abandoning an attempt to play witht the .plist file, I just tried turning the firewall off, rebooting, and then turning it back on. I note that when I turned the firewall off WITHOUT also unchecking stuff in sharing, after rebooting the firewall was back on. I have no idea if this is a "feature" in Lion or something related to my own setup (where my sysadmin has his own login and perhaps controls some things that I cannot see). But after unchecking sharing, turning the firewall off, restarting, then turning sharing and the firewall back on, screen sharing magically works.

What is interesting is that it takes foreever (that is, a good solid minute) to get to the password prompt and another good minute for the first screen to show up. After that all is flawless. (The timing is identical over several different ways of connecting the client box to the internet). In SL the connection tooks seconds (though oddly only worked from home to office, had thought that was an issue with my univ's networking restrictions, though obviously that was not the case).

I hope this might help someone figure out what is going on. There is clearly something odd here, though do not know if it is my office box setup or Lion.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

neal

Aug 19, 2011 8:16 PM in response to Samuel Lewis

After trying the following without any success (all of which were suggested somewhere in this or related threads in these forums):

• un-checking/re-checking RemoteManagement/ScreenSharing in Sharing Prefs

• downgrading to ARD 3.4

• re-installing Apple Remote Desktop Client 3.5

• messing with Firewall settings

I finally achieved consistent resolution to my Screen Sharing problem by using Disk Utility to Repair File Permissions (and a minor Disk Repair, but I think that was unrelated) on the Mac whose screen I was trying to share.

My final setup has

• Screen Sharing checked in the Sharing Pref pane (and Remote Management unchecked)

• Firewall on in the Security & Privacy Prefs and

• in the Firewall Advanced settings, these two processes: kdc and screensharingd, set to "Allow incoming connections"

Now Screen Sharing is working flawlessly. Hope this saves someone some frustration.

Aug 21, 2011 12:19 PM in response to Tiggerse17

Still not working between my Air and iMac (and it does work between the Air and a Macbook Pro). The latest oddity that we've discovered is that running Apple's Capture Data utility (eve wtihout having it do anything like packet capture, etc.) is enough to resolve the problem and allow the connection (this has been verified repeatedly). Thus, the problem we're facing now is that there's no way to capture diagnostic data for Apple's engineers while recreating the issue.

I'll post the final solution once we have one.

Aug 24, 2011 6:56 AM in response to Samuel Lewis

I've been receiving the "Receiving first screen..." message when trying to connect from my Home MacPro to my work MacPro. This has always worked prior to Lion. I've tried the ARD workarounds, re-installed LION, etc. I'm at the latest 10.7.1 image with all updates. I don't have Firewall enabled, but I do have little snitch which has all it's settings proper.

Anyway, I can connect to all my Macs if I use other macs on the local networks. It's just this one connection (home-2-work) that doesn't work. However, I can connect from home to other macs at work located on the same work subnet. The only difference I could find is that my work mac has both and NVidia(GT120) and ATI (HD 2600 XT) video card (running 3 screens). When I disconnect my ATI card, I'm able to receive video properly! From a networking perspective, all the TCP/VNC traces appeared fine, even though wireshark doesn't properly decode them. 😟

I'm still at a loss as to why this was failing. I'm not sure if there is some internal throttling of the VNC session that was causing this to fail with 3 screens, but 2 are fine. I'm also not sure if there is some GPU offloading to the ATI card that was causing this.

Anyway, I'm going to file a defect with apple. There is definitely an issue, verse previous releases. I'm just glad I was able to fix my problem. Maybe the problem is strictly with the ATI video cards? I see some previous posters trying to connect to iMacs. It would be interesting if they have the ATI video cards (I know later models do).

Screen sharing broken in Lion??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.