Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail in Lion is no longer showing mails with attachments

Although I have Mail set to show the "attachments" column, no attachments are shown either for incoming or outgoing mail - although I know that they DID have attachments.

This is a botheration. Has anyone else encountered it?

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 10:40 AM

8 replies

Aug 17, 2011 10:30 AM in response to Tom in London

I have what seems to be the same problem.

Two further observations:

The attachment is there. It can be saved or viewed from "File" menu, and it can be seen in the message source.

An attachment I sent from my iPhone is displayed in mail.

I was alerted to the problem when someone I sent photos to reported there was no attachment, but I didn't think to ask what sort of computer he has.

Jan 9, 2012 9:19 AM in response to Tom in London

Has anyone been able to fix this? I have the same issue and can confrim it on Lion 10.7.2. Changing the view back to classic, changing the download attachments accounts options or reseting the IMAP account does not solve the problem. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thank you mitchell209for letting me know I can get to the attachment through the file menu for the times that I know they are actually there.

Mar 29, 2012 12:24 AM in response to MRYFLYGUY

This failure to display attachments is more than an annoyance; from a professional viewpoint it's completely unacceptable. I can't start asking my clients lame questions such as "Could you kindly confirm whether or not you received my attached file?" because in their mind, that would create an issue as to the reliability of my communications.

In the end I solved this problem ( and a lot of other problems) by relegating Lion to the "sandbox" department of my business, and reverting to Snow Leopard for my serious activities.

Mar 29, 2012 1:42 AM in response to Farranco

I was able to fix it by removing all the Mail preferences. Hold down the option key and click on the main "Go" menu and then select "Library" folder. Delete all the files that begin with com.apple.mail in ~/LIbrary/Preferences/ without Mail running. Launch Mail and you will have to set up all the preferences again but you should now be able to view attachments. The issue I think lies with the old preference to always view mail in text format. This prefrence is now gone, or relocated and I can't find it. So I have to view mail in HTML but at least I now get attchements showing again and don't have to use Quick Look.

Apr 3, 2012 9:32 PM in response to Farranco

Have found a solution that works: see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3308790?start=0&tstart=0

See below:

oakmontoz

Re: Upgraded to Lion and now Mail does not show attachments in the Send Box (for new messages only).

Jan 5, 2012 4:50 PM (in response to BlairWare)

OK, I have no idea why, but the following worked.

I created a rule in the Preferences pane:

CONDITIONS

sender is me

attachment contains "." (every file does)

RULE

set color to (anything)

The rule worked.

Furthermore, the paperclips appeared!!!

Mail in Lion is no longer showing mails with attachments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.