Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't migrate files "don't have permission to read" - how can I reset access?

Hi,

I bought a mac mini, the mid 2010 model, it had Snow Leopard. I also have a PowerPC G5 running Leopard. So I migrated my files to the mac mini. Then a week later the new mac mini came out (last week). So, preparing to swap my new old mini for the new new mini I copied all my files BACK to the PowerPC. Got the new new mac mini, and of course it runs Lion. I tried to migrate my files but Lion and Leopard (not Snow Leopard, and it can't be upgraded because it's a PowerPC keep in mind) don't play well with each other. Fine. So I next tried to straight copy the files over my network. No go because I get this message:

Items can’t be copied to “Desktop” because you don’t have permission to read them.

I'm using the same login and password on both computers. Both are administrator level. The permissions for the systems themselves have been repaired. I've also tried to set the permissions to the files I want to migrate using this terminal command:

sudo chown -R yourusername:staff (and then dragging the folders I want blessed into the window)

no go... says I don't have permission to do so.

I tried "pushing" the docs from the other old computer to the new. Doesn't work

I'm trying copying to the Public folder now - and while it works for MOST of the documents many are still being left behind with the same permissions problem.

So, here's my question, given I've tried the above: How can you reset an entire folders contents to become absolutely "public"? There must be a way to do this that I'm missing. Again, I already realize I'm copying from different to new computers, but in Lion I can't seem to reset folder permissions to include "all subfolders" or "all files within this folder" (or whatever it used to say).

Thanks for any suggestions

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 10:51 AM

I never figured out how to change the permissions on many separate folders at once. If someone knows, I hope they chime in too.

But for one by one changes, just right click or (control click) the folder on the PPC machine, select Get Info. At the bottom expand the Permission section, click the little lock, put in your password, set all items to read and write. Admin, Your User name, Everyone... click the lock again and then try to copy the file.

I have a similar problem that you have and lately I have to do this on individual files daily. I have a network with a G5 on Leo, a Mini with SL, and a new iMac with Lion. Lion is the only computer I have trouble getting files to or opening right without changing the permissions in each individual file to everyone, system, admin and my name to read and write.

It's been driving me crazy. 😢

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2011 10:51 AM in response to A. Timleck

I never figured out how to change the permissions on many separate folders at once. If someone knows, I hope they chime in too.

But for one by one changes, just right click or (control click) the folder on the PPC machine, select Get Info. At the bottom expand the Permission section, click the little lock, put in your password, set all items to read and write. Admin, Your User name, Everyone... click the lock again and then try to copy the file.

I have a similar problem that you have and lately I have to do this on individual files daily. I have a network with a G5 on Leo, a Mini with SL, and a new iMac with Lion. Lion is the only computer I have trouble getting files to or opening right without changing the permissions in each individual file to everyone, system, admin and my name to read and write.

It's been driving me crazy. 😢

Jul 27, 2011 11:07 AM in response to atgrazi

Thanks atgrazi, at least I can see someone who is living in the same, multi-felined operating, multi-intel-chipped, networked reality. Sometimes it seems like everyone's solution is to have one computer when that simply isn't practical for everyone. Misery loves company if nothing else. If I figure it out I'll be sure to post back.

cheers.

Jul 27, 2011 11:26 AM in response to A. Timleck

I have a shared folder on my G5 Mac, and the folder properties is set for everyone to read and write (and I manually set all the files inside for everyone read and write). All my machines have the same credentials (same username, password, mac id... etc). I can copy a file from my G5 to my Lion iMac and I can open it and it works fine. I edit the file in any way, and copy it back to the G5, it says I don't have permission to read the file I am trying to transfer back (almost acting like I can't access the shared folder). But if I log into the G5, and copy it from the Lion system, no such problem.

I discovered that certain files I edit on the Lion system, would remove the read and write credentials I set the file at. Maybe it has something to do with the versions or resume features of Lion?

But after I work on the file, I have to right click it, and set the permissions back to read and write each time before I can transfer it to the G5. Makes me dizzy to even talk about it, LOL. 😝

But if you find a way to change multiple permissions on multiple files or folders at one time that works for Lion and Leopard... I thank you in advance!!! 😁

Jul 27, 2011 11:54 AM in response to A. Timleck

First, you should be able to use Setup Assistant to transfer your stuff, but not via network from a Leopard or earlier Mac. If both Macs have FireWire ports, you can use that. Or if you have "clone" backups of the old Mac, you can connect that drive and transfer from it. See Using Setup Assistant on Lion

Second, the permissions problem isn't related to the different account names, but the usually-hidden UIDs assigned by OSX. They're assigned in order as created; the first is 501. You can see them in System Prefs > Accounts (Users & Groups on Lion), by unlocking the padlock, then right-clicking the user account and selecting Advanced Options. Do not attempt to change anything on that window.

User 501 on one Mac should have permission to see User 501's files on the other, etc.

Jul 27, 2011 12:11 PM in response to Pondini

Thanks for the help Pondini (gave you a "Helpful Answer" 'star' 🙂 ). A couple of things, so others have it in front of them:

Setup Assistant can only be used at first install - otherwise you have to reinstall to use it.

Second, it's "dumb" that you can't use network between Leopard and Lion. ARGH. - especially since the firewire ports are different on many newer and older macs (and I mean older as in just over 4 years - not that old really). However you can get adapters (that's the next thing to try) that will change the old pin (4 pin I believe) to the newer (9 pin I believe, have to check that one).

The 501 reference I can check, thanks - I recall seeing that long ago in poking around

On the Lion machine it reads

User ID: 501

Group ID: staff

On the Leopard machine I want to copy from TO the Lion machine it reads:

User ID: 501

Group ID: 501

So it seems possible (I'm not sure what I'm seeing - educate me please lol) that the Group ID's don't match, where the Lion machine is staff while the Leopard is '501' - does this matter?

Thanks.

Jul 27, 2011 12:25 PM in response to A. Timleck

A. Timleck wrote:

. . .

Setup Assistant can only be used at first install - otherwise you have to reinstall to use it.

No, it's not quite that drastic. On Lion, you can avoid a new download and reinstall. See the green "Second Chance" box in the link provided.

Second, it's "dumb" that you can't use network between Leopard and Lion.

Dumb or not, it's a fact. Compalin to Apple here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

So it seems possible (I'm not sure what I'm seeing - educate me please lol) that the Group ID's don't match, where the Lion machine is staff while the Leopard is '501' - does this matter?

I'm not a permissions guru; as far as I've tried such things, that should work. I don't know why it doesn't. Have you Verified Disk and Repaired Disk Permissions on the old Mac?

Another option (after Verify Disk and Repair Disk Permissions) is to "clone" the HD to and external HD, and use it with Setup Assistant.

Jul 27, 2011 12:37 PM in response to Pondini

No, it's not quite that drastic. On Lion, you can avoid a new download and reinstall. See the green "Second Chance" box in the link provided.

Another option (after Verify Disk and Repair Disk Permissions) is to "clone" the HD to and external HD, and use it with Setup Assistant.

Sorry, which "Second Chance" box - when reinstalling (Recovery Install I believe it is no?) on Lion?

I did the disk permissions repair - no go. I might try to "Time Machine" back up everything on the old mac and then use that on the new. Thanks again.

Jul 27, 2011 10:11 PM in response to Pondini

In my case, Lion will work with the files from my Leopard system, but Leopard will not work with files I've saved on the Lion system. Before I transfer the file back to Leo, I need to right-click the file and manually set my User, Admin, and Everyone to have read and write access permissions again, or the file will not open on the Leo system. This seems tedious. Perhaps in my case, there is some security feature in Lion that always resets the permissions for use with the Lion machine only, or has to do with something specific to Logic Studio 9.

I think I will start drinking heavily if I can't get an idea if my app or Lion is causing it. When I had SL on this system, I never had any issues!

Add this issue to the startup and shutdown issues I'm having on Lion, I am giving it only one more week before I revert to Snow Leopard. Yesterday it took 11 minutes to shutdown Lion. It was stuck on a grey screen with the mouse pointer still movable. I didn't have any open apps and unchecked the box to reopen windows on start. I have heard the new Minis and Macbook Airs work great though, but the 2010/11 iMacs and Macbooks are having these shutdown issues.

I already called Apple Care about my booting issues, they said it's some kind of "feature" and not a bug. I bet if I call them about this permissions issue, they would also tell me this is a new security "feature" of Lion to always revert to default permissions. You must manually change the permissions for secrurity reasons, LOL 😁

Can't migrate files "don't have permission to read" - how can I reset access?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.