Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't increase disk space even when I delete files

Ever since the early version of icloud functionality was released, the hard disk on my Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo has been filling up by itself. (Not sure the two are related, but the timing was close).

And now, when I delete files to recover disk space, I *don't* get more disk space. This happened in 10.6 and now the same issue in Lion.

Any ideas? Thanks.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 11:24 AM

7 replies

Jul 27, 2011 11:36 AM in response to DW00

Yes, go into About This Mac > More Info. > Storage. What do you see under BackUps? This is the space being used for the MobileBackup feature, which is controlled by TimeMachine. If you have TimeMachine On it will continue. I suggest turning off TM and then restarting and then check your storage report to see how much space you now have.

Jul 27, 2011 11:57 AM in response to AMMOCAN

Previously, someone told me to go to finder, highlight my home folder, get info, then go down to sharing and permissions, then click on Read and Write for the owner (my home folder), then under the gear click apply to enclosed items". This did work temporarily, but not long term. Does that provide any hints as to what is going on?

Jul 27, 2011 12:09 PM in response to DW00

That tells me you need to choose who you're taking advice from more carefully. You should NEVER do that, since not all items in your home folder should have those permissions. You may need to reset your home folder permissions. The way you would have done this in SL is described here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10329971-263.html

I don't know about in Lion.

As to where the disk space is going, there are too many possibilities for us to be able to guess without more information. Try using a tool like GrandPerspective or OmniDiskSweeper to see what's taking up all your space, but don't just go deleting stuff unless you know for sure you can.

Jul 27, 2011 5:22 PM in response to AMMOCAN

Thanks, guys. I take your point about not listening to just anyone. How can I judge who to listen to (including you)?

In any case, I booted Lion in recovery mode (hold down command-R while starting) and ran disk utility - repair permissions, and that seemed to work. I had a lot of permission issues.

Note that I learned something here. In the past, I had run Repair Disk, thinking that that *included* Repair Permissions* but it does not. The two are separate, as I just found out.

I will report back if this does not solve the problem permanently. Much obliged for your responses.

Jul 27, 2011 6:14 PM in response to DW00

You are so very welcome. I just hope that you have solved your issue and I am glad to hear that you have learned something.

As for who to listen to, well it isn't really who you should listen to, but rather what you should listen to. In your case you should have questioned why you are being told to mess with your Home folder and looked into it further rather than just automatically acting on it. To be quite honest I don't even know why or understand how that person could have given you advice like that in regards to your issue. Regardless, before you act on anyones advice/suggestions feel free to use some common sense and if it doesn't sound right don't be afraid to question it and ask questions or seek out some more info about what it is and why you are being given the advice/suggestion that you are.

Unfortunately, communicating through posts isn't the most ideal/effective way to solve all problems and all parties involved are prone to make mistakes due to miscommunication/misunderstanding ones issue. Also, not everyone can be trusted. Not saying you can't trust anyone here, but I am just saying not everyone here is looking out for your best interest. It is quite unfortunate, but it is the reality we face. So, just be cautious on how much info. you share and to what you are being asked to do. Bottom line is just have a common sense approach to it and when in doubt ask questions, and if you still don't feel comfortable about it do some more research.

Can't increase disk space even when I delete files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.