Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder most recent files and folders

Before upgrading to Liion I had a section at the bottom of the Finder Side Bar that listed files I used in the last day, week, month (at least that's how I remember it). Is it possible to restore this feature to Finder in Lion?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6), MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 1:04 PM

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/15#finder

By default, at the top of the Lion Finder's sidebar is the new "All My Files" item. It's a canned search that finds all documents in the user's home directory and displays the results in a flat list. The sidebar item representing the computer as a whole, showing all attached drives and connected servers, is still available, but is not in the sidebar by default. The same goes for the home directory item. The other predefined saved searches (e.g., Today, Yesterday, All Images, etc.) are no longer available, though they can be recreated manually.

User uploaded file

Regards.

Colin R.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2011 1:04 PM in response to jimhaynes

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/15#finder

By default, at the top of the Lion Finder's sidebar is the new "All My Files" item. It's a canned search that finds all documents in the user's home directory and displays the results in a flat list. The sidebar item representing the computer as a whole, showing all attached drives and connected servers, is still available, but is not in the sidebar by default. The same goes for the home directory item. The other predefined saved searches (e.g., Today, Yesterday, All Images, etc.) are no longer available, though they can be recreated manually.

User uploaded file

Regards.

Colin R.

Jul 27, 2011 1:10 PM in response to jimhaynes

This may not be the most convenient for your purpose.

You can put a Recent Documents in the right side of your Dock.

Mac OS X stacks usually list the contents of specified folders, but the Dock has a hidden "Recent Items" Stack feature for Applications, Documents, Servers, and Volumes.

In terminal.app copy and paste:

defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }'  && killall Dock

… then right-click on the new Stack to choose which information to display.

To revert the change, right-click (or control-click) on the Recent Items Stack and choose the “Remove from Dock” option.

YOU CAN ALSO RUN COMMAND AGAIN FOR MUTIPLE RECENT ITEMS PLACED ON DOCK…. THEREFORE YOU COULD HAVE ALL (right click and choose which of the following:) Applications, Documents, Servers, and Volumes

Aug 1, 2011 2:00 PM in response to jimhaynes

Don't ask me why, but the Canned Searches still exist, working folders you just need to drag in your sidebar--In the Finder package in System/Licrary/CoreServices, there is a nice folder called -- Canned Searches -- and they are working Smart Folders.

If you feel confident with poking around at that level--carefully!--just select the Finder and Open Package. Then look in Resources. Drag the Canned Searches folder out, park it somewhere handy, and drag into your Sidebar whatever searches you want .... including Today, This Week, etc.

Jul 14, 2012 6:54 PM in response to jimhaynes

If anybody's still paying attention to this, you can get those searches into the sidebar (like in previous versions of OS X) by doing what Humorzo above suggests, finding the canned searches folder, and then within that folder, right click the search you want in the sidebar, click "make alias," and drag the alias over to the sidebar. It won't let you drag the search itself. Just to be safe, so as not to screw around with system folders, once I got the searches in the sidebar, I deleted the aliases from the folder *but not the searches themselves.* So far, everything still seems to work just fine.

Aug 15, 2013 4:47 PM in response to ems73000

I dont know what I just did but the similar thing happened to me - my "today" search went missing. So I opened the finder window, hovered over the left hand window where the searches are and right clicked to which "Side Bar Preferences" comes up. Allows you to access what you want to see from devices, shared, places an search for.

Finder most recent files and folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.