Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my desktop background disappears after waking from sleep mode

My desktop backgroung disappears after waking from sleep mode. Just converted to Lion.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Use Parallel 6 as well.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 1:43 PM

23 replies

Aug 15, 2011 11:16 PM in response to Bowks

I think I was having this same problem and figured out that it had to do with itunes. After playing an itunes video in full screen and quitting a grey screen would cover my desktop and I couldn't view my wallpaper or desktop icons. Mission control was acting wierd as well. Anyways, if I quit itunes it solved the problem. Don't know if this is the same problem or not????

Dec 19, 2011 1:14 PM in response to Bowks

2011 MacBook Pro, originally with SL, but upgraded to Lion. Having exact same problem with iTunes. Run it in full screen mode and my desktop disappears. Close iTunes and it comes back.

Checked "Keep Mini Player on top of all other windows" in preferences and had been using a dual monitor desktop before it happened.

Also installed and then uninstalled InsomiaX and Caffeine (both of which mess with sleep settings) before hand.

Have no idea what the connection is if any.

Dec 28, 2011 11:45 PM in response to Bowks

I've been on the support line with Apple on this one and the person I spoke with reported hearing of this once before. My "gray screen" can be dispensed with by wiping my mouse back and forth over the screen (like wiping away steam from glass) and I can reveal my login icon. Irritating and I--like others--am struggling to know what my $$ purchased on this Lion upgrade.

May 25, 2012 9:48 PM in response to jwedge

Are you aware of any fixes to this problem? I'm having this exact same problem with my display. I'm running 10.7.4 on my late 2011 17" MBP and I have to use the mouse like a blackboard eraser in order to see my login screen. It only happens if I leave the display idle and it goes into sleep. If I close the top down, thus forcing it to sleep, the display is normal when I open the laptop.

May 26, 2012 8:01 AM in response to Tim Knight

I spoke with Tech Support this morning. Apparently this is a known issue with Lion. I found it interesting that the rep insisted on saying that "it is the way Lion functions" instead of admitting that it is a GLITCH in the programming. He even said that it happens randomly and not on all computers and not all users experience this. That ought to tell you that it's a glitch. Anyway, there is a "workaround" which is what you do to put a bandage on a persistent wound that should really get surgically stitched:

You either have to log out every time you leave the laptop, or you have to change Energy saver preference to set the display to go to sleep AFTER the computer is set to log out (in Security preferences).

Here is the article that instructs us on applying the bandage::

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4135?viewlocale=en_US

Suffice it to say that Apple does not plan on stitching this one up any time soon..

my desktop background disappears after waking from sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.