Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMTP will not start

Hello - I am embarking on my first install of Leopard Server. I ca nreceive mail, but cannot send it. The log shows that SMTP will not start. I have looked through the main.cf file in Postfix, but can't see anything that may be prohibiting from starting. I am not that familiar with Postfix. All of the server options are at the defaults. Receiving mail (IMAP) works fine. The server has a static IP address and it's own domain name. The DNS suffix of the server uses the same suffix as another system does. This server is a test server. The other system being: "company.com", my server is named "server.company.com". The e-mail addresses for the test server users are user@server.company.com, whereas the main system would have user@company.com. In setup I did notice that the server had for itself, the name "company.com" instead of "server.company.com". I changed it in the Server Console. Could this be a factor? SSH, Web, sharing all work fine via the server's FQDN. Should OS X servers use themselves for DNS, like Windows Active Directory servers do at times?

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 27", 8GB RAM, 3.06 Core 2 Duo, 1TB

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 2:15 PM

3 replies

Jul 28, 2011 12:12 AM in response to Jason Watkins

You say the log shows SMTP won't start, but you don't actually say what the log fils states. Does it indicate some kind of error.

Also please clarify what is vs. what is not working - you say you can 'recieve mail, but not send it', but go on to reference IMAP, which is a client-focused protocol (i.e. how mail clients retrieve their mail from the server).

When I first read your post I assumed you meant 'recieve mail' as being external domains/servers can send mail to your server, but you can't send mail out, but now I'm not so sure...

Jul 28, 2011 8:12 AM in response to Camelot

Sorry for the lack of detail in my previous answer.

From /var/log.mail.log

servername postfix/postfix-script[4237]: fatal: the Postfix mail system is not running

servername postfix/postdrop[4393]: warning: unable to look up public/pickup: No such file or directory

From /var/log/mailaccess.log

servername master[4533]: ERROR: Cannot start mail services, configuration directory does not exist: /var/imap

servername lmtpunix[5087]: warning: unable to post message for user: jason, service ACL is not enabled for this user

The directory /var/imap does exist and contains numerous files

User uploaded file

SMTP will not start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.