Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sound?!

So I upgraded to Lion and then thought to myself I really fancy treating myself to an external isight for my mac mini. So I hunted around on ebay and eventually got one for about $40 (described as very good condition). Thinking ahead of myself I thought I would need a firewire adapter, so off I went to amazon.co.uk and bought a FireWire 400 to 800 Adapter by Neet.

So they both turned up today and the isight looks immaculate. i plugged in the adapter and plugged in my isight camera. Great picture quality however there is no sound is coming through the camera and no light on top of the camera either. I thought to myself to check the system preferences and go to sound, make sure isight was selected (which is was and is). I then moved the volume slider up and down and I see some blue bars being filled up.

So i thought to myself I would quickly record it in to quicktime and it turns out they are little clicks as i move the volume slider up and down. I opened skype and that app is not registering the sound either.

So I thought I would take it in to the nearest apple store. The assistant plugged it in with the neet adapter and he had the same issue, he then went off to get a firewire 400 to 800 cable and then that produced no sound whatsoever picture is great.

I came back home a bit down hearted but refusing to give up, I have since removed lion and put snow leopard back on and downloaded the firmware update for the isight (even though it said it had the latest on it) I re-flashed the firmware and still the same issue. Picture is great but the sound is not there (unless you move the slider in the sound menu on system preferences, then you get the clicks).

I have then updated Snow leopard from 10.6.2 to 10.6.8 Still having the same issue with great picture and no sound, just these clicks.

Is it the adapter that I am having issues with for the sound? I have just ordered up a different adapter a 'Sonnet Technology FireWire 400 to 800 Connector Adapter' which someone has written under the reviews:

"Converted the Firewire 800 port on the back of a mac mini to 400 so we could connect an iSight camera. Worked perfectly"

this was written back in Nov 2009.

Anyone have any thoughts about this one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

External iSight-OTHER

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 3:25 PM

3 replies

Jul 30, 2011 12:04 PM in response to thenextbutton

Hi,

EZ Jim who used to post here has an External iSight and did find that it took the "Right" sort of adapter to get this to work.

In one of his Posts he suggests this one

In a later post in the same thread he has other suggestions.

User uploaded file
8:04 PM Saturday; July 30, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Aug 2, 2011 4:02 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thank you for the reply.

Strange and very Bizzare thing happened. It started to work all of sudden? I am using the Neet firwire adapter as the Sonnet one turned up but I had the same results of no sound.

What I ended up doing was rebuilding lion, from my self created restore disc, and left the camera plugged in. I then opened up sound in system preferences and I could see I had movement in the vu meter.

I then opened skype and I could have a conversation with my parents.

I am so baffled as to what is going on. However I am not complaining as my ebay isight camera is now working with Lion 🙂

Aug 2, 2011 11:53 AM in response to thenextbutton

Hi,

Gald to hear you have it working.

Thanks for letting us know.

User uploaded file
7:53 PM Tuesday; August 2, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

No Sound?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.