Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Devices are not showing up in Xcode's Organizer

Is there something I need to do to enable "Devices" to appear under "Projects and Sources"? I've plugged both my iPhone and my iPad into my Mac and neither one is showing up in Xcode, yet iTunes can sync with them fine. I'm new to Xcode, so perhaps there is something I haven't initialized.

Relevant info:

Running Xcode 3.2, OSX 10.6.8, iOS 4.3.4 & 4.3.3.

It's raining and 75°F. Tomorrow will be sunny with highs in the 90s.

I'm wearing pants.

User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 4:24 PM

15 replies

Jul 27, 2011 5:05 PM in response to The Laughing Imp

By the numbers....

Is your device connected directly to the computer, using the supplied cable...not thru a hub?

When running System Profiler/USB, can you see the device when connected?

Is the device present in iTunes?

Have you restarted the computer, with the device connected and then tried?

What version Xcode, exactly?

I'm not wearing pants.

Jul 28, 2011 7:26 PM in response to K T

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) Yes. As I typed originally, I can sync just fine with iTunes. I can even sync blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back, but only on adventurous days.

4) Yes.

5) I had typed Xcode 3.2 which I thought was pretty exact, but perhaps you were wanting:

Component versions

Xcode IDE: 1610.0

Xcode Core: 1608.0

ToolSupport: 1591.0

6) Today I am not wearing pants. I hope that won't throw off the symmetry.

Just for fun & giggles: I have rebooted, reinstalled Xcode, uninstalled Xcode using the nifty unix uninstaller, reinstalled Xcode, rerebooted, and not once was Xcode able to see my iPad or iPhone, despite the fact, as I stated before, that I can sync just fine. Here is the syncie proof you have been craving:

User uploaded file

After all that, I still see this:

User uploaded file

I've been trying to get this to work for over a year. I have decided that Xcode doesn't like me and wants a divorce but is passive aggressive and can't quite bring the subject up. Or something is screwy. I'm leaning towards the divorce theory, personally.

Oct 15, 2013 2:20 PM in response to K T

Oh yes, you are absolutely right. I haven't seen that he was already in the Organizer. I came to this site as I was looking for a solution when you don't see the device as target for the build and thought that could be a solution for somebody in the same situation as I was. I should have been reading the whole story before I post.

Oct 24, 2014 10:54 AM in response to The Laughing Imp

Hello, I'm having the same issue with xCode 6.1 on my OS X 10.9.5 Mac Retina Display. It won't recognize my iPhone 5c (iOS8.1) in the Organizer. It's a new phone that replaced an old iPhone 5c. So I restored a back-up of the old iPhone onto this new one.

In xCode, if I go to Window --> Organizer, the left bar just says "No Projects". Whereas, previously it would show my device. It is recognized in the Devices section when I go to Window --> Devices. But unfortunately, I cannot do anything from there.

Oct 27, 2014 8:50 AM in response to sayed dhafer h

So for me, the issue I was ultimately trying to solve was "How do I install my test app on my iPhone?" I used to do it on the "Windows -> Organizer" screen, because it used to show the devices. Now, xCode has the "Windows -> Devices" screen, which when I originally found it, I could not figure out how to install my app. Before, I used to just drag the app to my phone in the left bar, but now that doesn't work. Instead, if you click on your phone, there's a little "Installed Apps" section on the right window. You can either press the "+" button there or drag your phone to that section. Unfortunately, it was tough to find the first time around because it's visually flat and doesn't really look like a section you can drag your app, too.

I hope that helps. Good Luck!

Devices are not showing up in Xcode's Organizer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.