Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3 and New MBA

Hi, I couldn't find the answer here but I just got my new MBA and want to install Aperture 3. I have 3 questions, 1, as we know The MBA doesn't have a Optical drive and the retail version I bought is, so can I burn the image to a USB key from my mac pro? Two, is there a process to upgrade a full retail version to the mac app store? I know some programs offer A switch to their app store version for a nominal fee. Three, the aperture library on my mac pro is master images not referenced to an external because I have the space on the MP. Right now its onl 28 GB and I have the 256 SSD so I have room but what do you suggest moving forward? Smaller project based libraries or some combo or a shared library on the mac pro but then what do I do when I'm on the road? My Mobile me isn't big enough and we're waiting for icloud... Thoughts, suggestions and answers needed and welcome. I didn't see this answer anywhere either so sorry if these were answered and I couldn't find them.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 6:58 PM

Use one Library unless security or professional reasons require you to sequester images. Multiple Libraries defeats the "management" part of Digital Asset Management.

Put the Library where you use it.

Read about, understand, and finally convert all (or nearly all) of your Images' Masters to be Referenced rather than Managed. This works very well, and will give you some years (a couple hundred thousand Images under management) until you have to change your storage/back-up system.

Develop a mobile workflow as needed, and based on where your Library is kept. Read this recent thread on one person's solution to a mobile workflow with Aperture on a desktop and sometimes on a roving laptop.

Ask specific questions as you have them.

(I have no answers for you re: program licensing and installation.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2011 6:58 PM in response to agillmeier

Use one Library unless security or professional reasons require you to sequester images. Multiple Libraries defeats the "management" part of Digital Asset Management.

Put the Library where you use it.

Read about, understand, and finally convert all (or nearly all) of your Images' Masters to be Referenced rather than Managed. This works very well, and will give you some years (a couple hundred thousand Images under management) until you have to change your storage/back-up system.

Develop a mobile workflow as needed, and based on where your Library is kept. Read this recent thread on one person's solution to a mobile workflow with Aperture on a desktop and sometimes on a roving laptop.

Ask specific questions as you have them.

(I have no answers for you re: program licensing and installation.)

Jul 28, 2011 3:34 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby,

WOW, and thank you for the reply.

I read both articles and they were helpful but I still have a few questions. Can you suggest some more articels on the whole master/referenced topic please? I read your post on vaction, workflow and so forth but I'm still a bit confused. Specifically, I have as I said I have one library now on my MP, I'd like to have a show the pix In it on my MBA But am mindful of your point relative to space. What modifications can I make to the library I have and can I see The images If the masters are on an external not connected, say when I'm on the road?

At this point I'll use the MBA on vaction for photos only so its not a regular need. I upgraded from iphoto and that library is 110GB and holds all images prior to this year. Those are on my ipad so I'm good with thAt and don't need that library on this MBA. Given my 256 GM SSD, I can't afford a 110GB aperture library though I'm glad you confirmed my desire to only have 1 library, hence my 110 GB iphoto one!

Thanks again, I hope that made sense to you, have a great day!

Aperture 3 and New MBA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.