Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MPEG-2 component & OS 10.7

is there an MPEG-2 component for Lion?

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 6:18 PM

13 replies

Aug 23, 2011 4:24 PM in response to amir from mountain view

Check this new Apple article out - OS X Lion: Unable to install QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component

In OS X Lion, QuickTime Player plays back MPEG-2 media without additional software. You can play most non-encrypted MPEG-2 file formats containing MPEG layer I or II audio, including .mpg, .mpeg, .m2v, .m2a, and .m2s files.

The QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component cannot be installed in OS X Lion because it is no longer required.

Note: If the QuickTime MPEG-2 Component is already installed on a Mac that upgrades to Lion, or is migrated to Lion via Migration Assistant, it will remain available for use by older QuickTime 7-based applications.

Mar 25, 2012 12:24 PM in response to whatheck

whatheck wrote:

Check this new Apple article out - OS X Lion: Unable to install QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component

In OS X Lion, QuickTime Player plays back MPEG-2 media without additional software. You can play most non-encrypted MPEG-2 file formats containing MPEG layer I or II audio, including .mpg, .mpeg, .m2v, .m2a, and .m2s files.

The QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component cannot be installed in OS X Lion because it is no longer required.

Note: If the QuickTime MPEG-2 Component is already installed on a Mac that upgrades to Lion, or is migrated to Lion via Migration Assistant, it will remain available for use by older QuickTime 7-based applications.

I just want to point out that Apple is not 100% correct here. VOB files, and some others, can't be read on Lion without this QuickTimeMPEG2 component. It seems a workaround to install it is required for some of its uses. Apple deprecated the component too early.

Mar 25, 2012 2:02 PM in response to Anic264b

VOB files, and some others, can't be read on Lion without this QuickTimeMPEG2 component. It seems a workaround to install it is required for some of its uses.

Not entirely true. It is the VOB file container/file extension that Lion's QT X player doesn't like. If you change the file extension/re-encapsulate the VOB "Muxed" MPEG-2/AC3 data to an MPG, MPEG, or TS container/extension, then the file can usually be played normally under Lion in the QT X player without having to resort to use of the Apple QT MPEG-2 Playback Component and MPEG Streamclip.

User uploaded file

Nov 24, 2012 5:21 AM in response to Jon Walker

Interesting but I must be missing some basic step. I have Mountain Lion and can't import *.VOB files into iMovie. They simply aren't recognised. Changing the extension to MPEG or others you mentioned doesn't make iMovie recognise them. So my question is, when you change the "file extension/re-encapsulate" do you mean more than simply editing the file extension in Finder? If so, what additional steps are needed?

Nov 24, 2012 7:18 AM in response to charles604

I was trying to see the files in QT-7 after changing the extension. That didn't work but I could open the file in QT-X and export them to iMovie.

Correct.

MPEG-2 video is only compatible with QT 7 if you have the QT MPEG-2 Playback component installed on your system.

AC3 content is not natively compatible with either QT 7 or iMovie.

Muxed MPEG-2 video is only compatible if imported directly to iMovie '08 (or later) directly from your camcorder. This process creates an all I-frame M2V elementary video data stream, converts the AC3 audio to AIFF, and adds timing offsets to reduce audio-video drift—thus, making the file edit compatible at the "frame" level in iMovie. Also be advised that since iMovie '08 and later includes the component for playing back/editing this convertered MPEG-2 content, the MOV file thus created also becomes playback compatible in the QT 7 player on systems with iMovie '08/'09/'11 instaled.

In all other cases, the "muxed" MPEG-2 content must normally be converted to compression formats that are already edit compatible with iMovie at the "Finder" import level or modified so that iMovie will be fooled into thinking the content is on a camcorder for import to iMovie via the "Import from camera" option.

User uploaded file

Nov 24, 2012 7:24 AM in response to Jon Walker

Muxed MPEG-2 video is only compatible if imported directly to iMovie '08 (or later) directly from your camcorder. This process creates an all I-frame M2V elementary video data stream, converts the AC3 audio to AIFF, and adds timing offsets to reduce audio-video drift—thus, making the file edit compatible at the "frame" level in iMovie. Also be advised that since iMovie '08 and later includes the component for playing back/editing this convertered MPEG-2 content, the MOV file thus created also becomes playback compatible in the QT 7 player on systems with iMovie '08/'09/'11 instaled.

So, when I edit the videos from my camera, instead of converting them to avi (or other formats), I should be able to import them in iMovie, save the result as .mov files and import them in QuickTime, where I do all my editings, correct? I'd then lose less quality, of course.

I've never used iMovie, so I don't know if the saved format is then compatible.

It's a shame this isn't embedded into QuickTime directly.

Nov 24, 2012 8:02 AM in response to Anic264b

I've never used iMovie, so I don't know if the saved format is then compatible.

iMovie '08/'09/'11 has a separate camcorder import option that handles all popular formats in recent use from AVCHD to "muxed" MPEG-2. The only proviso is that the camcorder is compatible with iMovie. (See online list of camcorder compatible with your specific version of iMovie.) Files already transferred to your hard drive (or that are on camcorders not compatible with iMovie) must normally be manually converted to an iMovie edit compatible compression format by whichever means you prefer. In the case of "muxed" MPEG-2 content, the iMovie import option preserves the original quality by effectively turning the GOP (non-edit compatible content) to a "frame" level edit compatible file by expanding the P- and B-frames to I-frames, effectively turning the video data into a stream of "motion MPEG" compressed data which is compatible at the frame level for editing. If you really want to view/edit/export such files in QT 7 Pro, then you can either import the files as previously indicated via iMovie or, if you have the QT MPEG-2 Playback component ($20) and the free MPEG Streamclip app installed, you can also use MPEG Stremclip to open your "muxed" MPEG-2 or VOB files and "demux" the content to elementary paired M2V and AIFF data streams which are then directly compatible with QT 7 Pro playing, editing and exporting. (NOTE: Be advised, however, the QT X does not recognize the files as being paired and if you want to manipulate the elementary data streams in this app, both files must opened manually and played in sync.)

If no editing is involved, I normally just convert "muxed" MPEG-2, VOB, TS, MTS, or M2TS files directly to my final iTunes/TV/iPad/iPod viewing format files using the free HandBrake app.

User uploaded file

Nov 24, 2012 8:19 AM in response to Jon Walker

Jon Walker wrote:

iMovie '08/'09/'11 has a separate camcorder import option that handles all popular formats in recent use from AVCHD to "muxed" MPEG-2.

Ok. My camera isn't in HD, however.

In the case of "muxed" MPEG-2 content, the iMovie import option preserves the original quality by effectively turning the GOP (non-edit compatible content) to a "frame" level edit compatible file by expanding the P- and B-frames to I-frames, effectively turning the video data into a stream of "motion MPEG" compressed data which is compatible at the frame level for editing.

Nice explanations, thank you!

If you really want to view/edit/export such files in QT 7 Pro, then you can either import the files as previously indicated via iMovie or, if you have the QT MPEG-2 Playback component ($20) and the free MPEG Streamclip app installed, you can also use MPEG Stremclip to open your "muxed" MPEG-2 or VOB files and "demux" the content to elementary paired M2V and AIFF data streams which are then directly compatible with QT 7 Pro playing, editing and exporting.

I have the QT MPEG-2 Playback component, but it's not really reliable. For example, I often use it to open VOB files (from DVD I made from DVD recorders, from TV) in QuickTime 7, but they are always shortened and never have an audio track. One of the worse purchases I made.

However, I'll try your example above with the files from my camera.

(NOTE: Be advised, however, the QT X does not recognize the files as being paired and if you want to manipulate the elementary data streams in this app, both files must opened manually and played in sync.)

Thanks for the advice. I don't use QT X, only QuickTime 7 (pro) along with an app I made myself, which uses the QT framework, with which I can add moving texts, logos, effects and a bunch of stuffs ;-)

Thanks for your answer.

Nov 24, 2012 9:02 AM in response to Anic264b

Ok. My camera isn't in HD, however.

Doesn't need to be. It just needs to be recognized by and compatible with your version of iMove.

I have the QT MPEG-2 Playback component, but it's not really reliable. For example, I often use it to open VOB files (from DVD I made from DVD recorders, from TV) in QuickTime 7, but they are always shortened and never have an audio track. One of the worse purchases I made.

Not sure what you mean by "shortened" here. However, as to never having any audio track, what compressed data is contained in the VOB file? As noted above, AC3 audio is not natively compatible with QT 7 Pro and, since most VOB files contain MPE-3 video multiplexed with AC3 audio, there is little wonder at not being able to play the audio. Either demux the VOB to an MPEG file containing MPEG-2 video multiplexed with MPEG-1 layered audio or demux the VOB to paired M2V and AIFF files. Both options preserve the original video quality but have QT 7 compatible audio. (I prefer the paired elementary stream files as they can also be edited at the frame level in QT 7 Pro (but not iMovie) and do not have the 4 GB file length restriction of the MPEG file container.

In any event, that is why I specifically mentioned the use of MPEG Streamclip above. It can handle the "muxed" AC3 audio which QT 7 natively does not handle and, together with the QT MPEG-2 Playback component, acts as a bridge to make the VOB content fully compatible with QT 7 Pro playback and/or editing without actually re-transcoding the video and thus, preserves its original quality. Plus, if the VOB title set contains multiple files, the data can be merged as part of the demuxing/repackaging process by MPEG Streamclip.

User uploaded file

Nov 24, 2012 11:01 AM in response to Jon Walker

Jon Walker wrote:

Doesn't need to be. It just needs to be recognized by and compatible with your version of iMove.

Yes, I'm aware of this. I replied because you mentioned AVCHD, but I misread the “to “muxed MPEG-2” part, my mistake here.

Jon Walker also wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "shortened" here.

When I open my VOB files with thar Codec, QT usually shows the first seconds/minutes of the file (the controller also thinks the video is of that length). If I “go to end” (e.g. by using Option-Right arrow), I sometimes see the real end, but then moving the “time handler” (sorry, english isn't my native language) to the left, it will eventually jumps to the start half (=true relative time from 0, given the controller's total time) past a given place. No matter how, I can't usually see more than a couple of seconds/minutes from the start.

Jon Walker followed and wrote:

However, as to never having any audio track, what compressed data is contained in the VOB file? As noted above, AC3 audio is not natively compatible with QT 7 Pro and, since most VOB files contain MPE-3 video multiplexed with AC3 audio, there is little wonder at not being able to play the audio.

Mine seem to be A52 encoded-audio, which turns out to be some kind of AC3. I'll try this codec: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21875/a52codec

(AC3 isn't recognized, but perhaps its subtypes can).

Jon Walker lastly wrote:

Either demux the VOB to an MPEG file containing MPEG-2 video multiplexed with MPEG-1 layered audio or demux the VOB to paired M2V and AIFF files. Both options preserve the original video quality but have QT 7 compatible audio. (I prefer the paired elementary stream files as they can also be edited at the frame level in QT 7 Pro (but not iMovie) and do not have the 4 GB file length restriction of the MPEG file container.

In any event, that is why I specifically mentioned the use of MPEG Streamclip above. It can handle the "muxed" AC3 audio which QT 7 natively does not handle and, together with the QT MPEG-2 Playback component, acts as a bridge to make the VOB content fully compatible with QT 7 Pro playback and/or editing without actually re-transcoding the video and thus, preserves its original quality. Plus, if the VOB title set contains multiple files, the data can be merged as part of the demuxing/repackaging process by MPEG Streamclip.

All good advices, thank you!

MPEG-2 component & OS 10.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.