Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dragging files creates shortcut?

When I try to drag files or apps from the Applications folder, instead of moving the the file it creates a shortcut to it. How do I turn that off?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 15" MacBook Pro - 8 gigs of ram

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 6:41 PM

Holding the option key allows you to drag a copy. Delete the orginal if that is your intent?

10 replies

Jul 27, 2011 7:49 PM in response to PunkRockTuba

Apple has "locked down" the Applications folder to reduce the risk of people moving Applications in such a way that subsequent updates for those applications fail.

Might I ask why you are reorganising your Applications folder? If it is for the purpose of making it more organised for launching applications - have you tried LaunchPad? It is easily reorganised, and doesn't affect the physical location of the applications.

Jul 27, 2011 8:09 PM in response to PunkRockTuba

I just want to be able to move the file without making copies or shortcuts and without having to delete the original.

Hold down the command key while dropping.

You'll see what is going to happen by the badge on the drag icon.

A curly arrow is an alias (default from Apps folder), a Green + is a copy, and nothing is a move.

Leroy already noted that the option key will give a copy.

Note that these work on other drag operations, also.

By default, a move happens on the same volume, and a copy happens across volume boundaries. However, holding down the modifier keys will alter the default behavior.

Jul 3, 2015 3:37 AM in response to alanchrishughes

alanchrishughes wrote:

Did you ever find a fix to this? I recently bought a new laptop and this drives me crazy. It also has a similar problem moving files to and from the root of my hard drive folder, it doesn't create a short cut then, but it will create a duplicate of the file instead of moving it.

The "fix" is, don't use Yosemite. That is the way it's security model works.

Dragging files creates shortcut?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.