Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview opens previously viewed files

I highlight just one file on my desktop and double click it to see it in Preview. I get a second image from a PDF I view yesterday. Went through Preferences in Preview, but can't seem to figure out how to get to only display one image I select. It's done this before too. I highlight the image and double click and it shows me the highlighte image and the last one I viewed.

Mac Pro dual 2.66Ghz Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 500Gb,2x 1TB, 3Gb ram.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 6:49 PM

That is a feature "Resume." You will have to read up on it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20083707-263/managing-mac-os-x-lions-applic ation-resume-feature/?tag=cnetRiver

We can disable it in terminal if it gets to that point.

9 replies

Jul 27, 2011 7:02 PM in response to Robert Pena

This is because of the new Saved State feature in Lion.

What happens is every time you quit an application, its current state is saved - this includes what documents it had open at the time you quit. When you launch that application again later on, Lion will restore it to the same state it was in when you last used the app. So, when you double-click some PDF and Preview opens up, the first thing it does is restore to the state it was last time, which includes opening the document you were viewing last time. Kind of confusing...!

Easiest way to stop this happening is press Option-Command-Q to quit Preview, or hold down the Option key while you click on the "Preview" menu, then select "Quit and Discard Windows".

Next time Preview opens up, you won't have any of the previous documents open up.

C.

Jan 24, 2012 11:14 AM in response to leroydouglas

Which turns this feature off for all applications. What if you want only to disable it for one or several, but not for all?

leroydouglas points to a cnn article that talks about locking directories under ~/Library/Saved Application State or by creating a 'template' (predefining a startup state) and then locking the saved state directory created when you quit, but apparently Preview doesn't save its state that way, at least I don't have a Preview 'saved state' directory in ~/Library/Saved Application State.

I found how to do it in the Terminal here

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1203457

defaults write com.apple.Preview NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool false

Mar 14, 2012 9:17 PM in response to whdaffer

Thanks for the info on this thread. I just started using Lion, and I thought at first it was the Mac versions of MS Office apps doing this, because I couldn't imagine Apple would come up with a feature this lame. Tonight I noticed Preview was doing the same thing, so searched on the Apple forums and found this answer.

When you double-click on a file to open it, this feature has the effect of opening the last file you edited in front of the file you chose, which guarantees you'll be looking at the wrong file. Extremely annoying, so thanks for helping me figure out how to turn it off. I can't imagine how this got past usability testing.

Preview opens previously viewed files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.