Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

For the love of god, how do we turn off the bouncing, rubber band scrolling?

Please.

Mac OS X (10.7), Mail app

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 8:08 PM

9 replies

Apr 28, 2012 1:59 PM in response to davidomundo

Found a little more info today after paining myself through Lion.

Here is my research from the day.

On iOS, there is a thing called a UIScrollView. Setting bounces to 0 makes the scrolling not bounce.

Lion is different. It uses an NSScrollView. (I just did the research) In it is a property called "Elasticity" which determines this: Allow content to be scrolled past its bounds on this axis in an elastic fashion. Things that scroll generally sit within an NSScrollView on the screen. It turns out the NSScrollElasticity is responsable for that. It's defined in NSScrollView.h.

#if MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_7 <= MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED

enum {

NSScrollElasticityAutomatic = 0, // automatically determine whether to allow elasticity on this axis

NSScrollElasticityNone = 1, // disallow scrolling beyond document bounds on this axis

NSScrollElasticityAllowed = 2, // allow content to be scrolled past its bounds on this axis in an elastic fashion

};

If you open this folder, you can see the file on your hard drive.

/System/Library/Frameworks/Appkit.framework/Versions/C/Headers/NSScrollView.h

Dunno if modifying that file would help anything, but in any case, I would love for a preference file (pList) to automatically set all NSScrollViews for an app to use NSScrollView.NSScrollElasticity = NSScrollElasticityNone

I think that would work, but I don't yet know how to do it and do it for all apps.

May 28, 2012 5:41 AM in response to Alex Zavatone

Having the same allergy, I did some more searching and found:

http://lifehacker.com/5909402/turn-off-elastic-scrolling-in-os-x-lion

I can testify that it works.

Note: changing the file NSScrollView.h will not work, unless you recompile the entire system or at least the application to be changed. Unless you are a seasoned developer, I would not attempt that.

Note: the NS at the start of a lot of OSX code stuff actually stands for NextStep, the Unix interface developed for the NeXT machines. One of those machines which was used by Tim Berners-Lee (and another one by myself) to develop the web back in 1990. The development system to set up NS was developed by Jean-Marie Hullot from Paris, and bought by NeXT in the late 80s.

:-)

For the love of god, how do we turn off the bouncing, rubber band scrolling?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.