Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Delete greyed out in the Edit menu? (track selected in regular playlist)

Hi. Starting today, Delete is permanently greyed out in the Edit menu in iTunes. This is with tracks selected in the Music library or in any playlist (not just Smart Playlists). I manage tracks daily, and this just started today. I upgraded to 10.4 about a week back so it was fine for a while. Immediately before the problem manifested itself, I selected "Always Show Artwork" from the View menu (which is available when you're in Album List mode), something I've never done before. But that might be totally unreleated.

Hitting the Delete key doesn't work either (actually that's my preferred method). However "Cut" and Cmd-X do work, as does the Delete command in the contextual menu. So I have a workaround.

Quitting and re-entering iTunes didn't help, nor did de-selecting "Always Show Artwork".

iMac 27, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Up-to-date, lots of RAM and disk

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 6:01 PM

Hi, I have also just upgraded to itunes 10.4 and my delete function on the edit menu is also grey. I can't delete individual songs or playlists that way. I tried the delete button on the keyboard when I saw your message and that does work however.

11 replies

Aug 21, 2011 10:53 AM in response to Richard Tench

Hiya, I have the same problem since itunes update to 10. please can you tell me where to find instructions for the keys i need to press to delete songs? i dont know which is 'cut' and 'cmd-x' thanks very much!

Aug 21, 2011 11:03 AM in response to Community User

Hi Denise. Cmd-X is an abbreviation for Command-X, which in turn means to hold the Command key down and strike the X key. The Command key is the one with the Apple symbol or the cloverleaf. On Apple keyboards it is the key immediately to the left (or right) of the space bar. The left and right command keys are identical.

More info: command-X is the keyboard shortcut for the Cut command found in the Edit menu. Pull down the Edit menu and look af the symbol to the right of the word cut. You should see the Cmd-X abbreviation (only it uses the cloverleaf symbol).

I hope this helps!

Jul 25, 2012 4:39 AM in response to Richard Tench

Hmm. I came to realise iTune Match had downgraded 38 of my tracks, which I'd ripped from my own CDs long ago, with 256kbps versions. I do have backup for the tracks, so I'd like to delete these 38 tracks (I've made a Smart playlist of them), deleting them from iCloud too; then with Match turned off, recover my originals (Add to Library) from an old Mac.

Can't do it! As Richard Tench said at the top, from 27 July 2011, Edit > Delete is permanently grayed out if you have opted for iT Match. And for me on iTunes 10.6.3 (Lion 10.7.4), that's not all: Edit > Cut and Cmd-x both just produce the Bonk sound. My Macbook keyboard has no Del key either.

But all the above are only true with Match active. Store > Turn Off iTunes Match will ungrey Edit > Delete (& fn-bksp etc I imagine). So I would then be able to delete the tracks locally. But of course, if you turn off iT Match you can delete all you like locally, but they will still exist in iCloud, and if I turn on iT Match again, the lower-grade 256kbps ones will come down from the clouds to replace my CD-ripped ones again! Won't they?

Is that right? Is there any way to exclude these 38 tracks (out of ~6500) from iTunes Match so I can keep my better quality CD-ripped ones? (Other than using Alt-Launch & creating a separate iTunes fileset for the 38 tracks - as you might have guessed, some of them fall right in the middle of albums.) Help!

dw32

Jul 25, 2012 3:25 PM in response to dw32

Hi. Your restored tracks should stay even with Match turned on. You have to specifically delete your own tracks then download to get the Match versions.

My problem went away shortly after posting this but I couldn't figure out why the problem occurred or didn't occur.

P.S. No conclusion from the following but am giving you some additional data: my problem happened before iTunes Match was available to Canadian customers (i.e. me). Once I later got iTunes Match I had a number of other problems but this one never recurred. Your results are a little different (Cmd-X doesn't work for example). I recall others having your issue in other threads when I was researching my problem.

--Richard

Jul 26, 2012 10:39 AM in response to Richard Tench

Thanks for that Richard. Yes, my results are different. Now it seems that once you accept a download from iTunes Match, that's it, you're stuck with it. Apple is gonna hang on to that DRM-free content in your iTM and will not let you change it. I suppose it could be argued that this is protecting all involved from legal challenges.

What you now have may be inferior to e.g. a 630kbps version it replaced when you accepted the download, but there's nothing you can do. You cannot delete it in your iTunes and you can't delete it from iCloud.

If you were to try force majeur, like deleting it in Finder then adding it back to iTunes from say your CD, iTunes Match would again replace it with their 256kbps version, as far as I can see.

Can anyone verify this? Would I be right in thinking that the only way out of this is to turn off iTunes Match completely?

dw32

Jul 26, 2012 11:42 AM in response to dw32

dw32 wrote:

If you were to try force majeur, like deleting it in Finder then adding it back to iTunes from say your CD, iTunes Match would again replace it with their 256kbps version,

No.

iTunes Match does not download or replace anything on your computer unless you delete it from your library then download it from iTunes Match (click the down cloud button next to the song)..

Jul 29, 2012 4:00 AM in response to Chris CA

"iTunes Match does not download or replace anything on your computer unless you delete it from your library..."

Yes Chris, Richard said the same above. Perhaps there's been an update to iTunes, because I think it's no longer true. I feel fairly sure my experience was that you do not need to delete the original before clicking the Download icon.

To me there seem to have been major changes to Match since it was first announced, I don't know what it was like in say November.

Why is Delete greyed out in the Edit menu? (track selected in regular playlist)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.