Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal ?!

Hi everyone.

I have just made the switch from Win PC to Mac and i would love to learn more (anything) about Terminal and the use of it. I dont know a single command or what it does. I know it's a noobish question, but thats what i am at Mac so far... Any help greatly appreciated 😀

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 10:47 PM

18 replies

Jul 28, 2011 3:00 AM in response to DeeOne

I find the free app OpenTerminal extremely useful. Add it to your Finder's custom toolbar (just drag the app to the toolbar) and if you click on OpenTerminal it will open a terminal window at the same location of your Finder window.

http://homepage.mac.com/thomasw/OpenTerminal/

I find it useful if I want to use Unix commands at the current location, such as "grep" for searching the folder's file contents.

doug

Jul 28, 2011 5:36 AM in response to tonefox

Hehe, point taken and notes made folks. Fortunately, my only use for the mbp so far is mucking about trying to get used to it. I´m still waiting to get my hands on a external sound interface and monitors + logic, so until then i dont mind if i have to start fresh again. But there is no chance of permanent damage as a result of Terminal tinkering?

Jul 28, 2011 5:47 AM in response to DeeOne

TRIM... I heard OS x Lion was going to have TRIM support, atleast for Mac SSD`s. I have looked (atleast to my knowlege) all over the GUI part of OS x Lion and found no such thing.

But Mr.Google came up wiith this article/how to, sound like a good plan or risky? (copy / paste)

→ Backup the file we're patching:

sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorag e.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage /IOAHCIBlockStorage.original

→ Patch the file to enable TRIM support:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00).{9}(\x00\x51)|$1\x00\x00\x00\ x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorag e.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

→ Clear the kext caches

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-caches

To me this is ALL completely confusing and a unlogical mess, i have no idea what anything of this does, here`s a link to the original article i found.

http://gdgt.com/question/in-os-x-lion-how-do-you-enable-trim-support-for-ssds-f1 6/

Jul 28, 2011 6:51 AM in response to DeeOne

DeeOne wrote:

But there is no chance of permanent damage as a result of Terminal tinkering?

Yes there is. If you don't know aboslutely what a particular terminal command is doing you should not be playing around with it.There are a lot of very useful commands you can use for a variety of effects.

But you can very easily screw something up by putting in a command you don't what does at a location you don't recognize.

For example. You have commands that can kill a process. Ones that you can use to clear a cache. Or restart a process. But there are also commands that can delete a file without prompting wheter you want to delete it or not. And other similarly destructive effects.

Jul 28, 2011 7:04 AM in response to DeeOne

To me this is ALL completely confusing and a unlogical mess, i have no idea what anything of this does, here`s a link to the original article i found.

http://gdgt.com/question/in-os-x-lion-how-do-you-enable-trim-support-for-ssds-f1 6/

http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/ <---- original article

Step 1 : Backup the kernel extension by using the "cp" command. Kernel extensions talk to the hardware so in case we stuff things up we should take a backup first.

Step 2 : Use the "perl" command to run a small perl script change a certain bit of text in the kext with O's. Perl is a computer language that's very very good at quickly replacing characters in a stream of info. In this case our stream of info is text in a kernel extension.

Step 3 : Clear the kext caches. To make start up quicker OS X builds a cache of the kexts. By clearing it your telling your install to please rebuild it's cache of kernel extension at the next boot time. Which makes sense as you've just made a change in one of those kernel extensions so you want to make sure the cache has those changes in it.

Terminal ?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.