Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install OS X 10.6.3 on my iMac G5 with a completely blank HD?

I have never used or owned an Apple computer before but my buddy got one from a lady who had problems with hers. She told us the hard drive was damaged and she didn't want it anymore. Now I have it, with a wiped/blank 1TB brand new hard drive and a 'Mac OS X 10.6.3 Install DVD'. I do not know any of the startup shortcuts and don't want to insert the install dvd in fear of not being able to eject it. I turn it on and hear a startup sound, then the screen goes grey with a purple folder that has a picture of a face and a ? alternating continuously. It would be helpful to tell me step by step instructions to install the OS or let me know if there are any other discs/processes I need to obtain before continuing and why. Help is greatly apprectiated! 🙂

iMac

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 12:53 AM

8 replies

Jul 28, 2011 6:40 PM in response to Brandin917

You need a Panther disc, simply insert it into the optical drive slot,click on the disk image, install it and format your hard drive as Mac OS Extnded (journaled).

Look on eBay for copies of Panther, but make sure you get a black retail disc, they grey ones are machine specific and won't work.

User uploaded file

How do I install OS X 10.6.3 on my iMac G5 with a completely blank HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.