Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dear Apple: Please re-enable all the old features in Server Admin Tools

I don't want anything complicated, just re-enable the panels we used to have in 10.5 in the Server Admin Tools, specifically Server Manager.

I understand that you're trying to make the Server tool the new way to manage OS X Server, but frankly, it's not there yet, and especially for web service administration, WE NEED THE OLD TOOLS BACK, because the new tool is utterly inadequate.

This one change would make Lion Server a much more usable product for those of us who invested in things like XServes, and are using OS X in production environments. Really, that's all we need, and I doubt any one of us could ask for more than that this one item to be fixed.

Mac OS X (10.7), Lion Server

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 1:57 AM

3 replies

Jul 28, 2011 2:25 AM in response to Charles in Charge

Hi!

I agree with you, the new "Server.app" is less complet than previous "Server Tools", maybe also it's more simple.

Anyway take a look at this page: "http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1419", there you can download Sever Tools for 10.7 server.

Now i'm usign both, Server.app at the server and Server Tools at client side. Mixing both is the closest to previous interfaces, but with both there are yet some missing goodies from previous admin gui's.

hope that helps!

Jul 28, 2011 2:44 AM in response to tArre

I'm using Server Admin Tools already. It's missing the Web panel. (And others)

Honestly, that's all I need to come back to accomplish 99% of what I need from the GUI.

Right now it feels like pulling teeth to make Apache work the way I want it to... and I've been using Apache longer than OS X, (any version, server or otherwise) so I know it's not any restriction or change of Apache.

Jul 28, 2011 2:51 AM in response to Charles in Charge

then, have you take a look at Server.app > SERVICES > Web > Web sites??

there you can configure apache Virtual Hosts.

i've always made my own configurations in /etc/apache/sites-*, but it's not recommended

there you can do all you want, but probably you will crash all other Apple Admin GUI (like Server.app and Server Tools)

i also miss some panels, but i'm used to "command line" so... for me it's always a matter of finding the hidding button 🙂

Dear Apple: Please re-enable all the old features in Server Admin Tools

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.