Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A question about Auto Save, Versions and Preview.

I haven't upgraded to Lion (yet?). I'm trying to understand what impact Lion will have on my workflow.

Do I understand right that it is not possible to turn off Lion's Auto Save?
And that the autosavings are stored in a hidden sqlLite data base?

I use Preview for... err... previewing files (PDFs and image files). Nothing I open (preview) in Preview I save.

Is Lion's Auto Save going to save every file I take a look at in Preview?

MBP, Mm, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 10:41 AM

RobBT wrote:

. . .

Correct. But in most cases, that's not a problem.

Some are; when either you or Autosave makes a new "version," the deleted/changed portions are put there. The actual file always contains the current version.

No. It won't do anything at all, unless you edit the document.

At the moment, Autosave and Versions apply only to TextEdit, Preview, and the recent updated Numbers and Pages.

For details, see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4753?viewlocale=en_US

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2011 10:41 AM in response to RobBT

RobBT wrote:

. . .

Correct. But in most cases, that's not a problem.

Some are; when either you or Autosave makes a new "version," the deleted/changed portions are put there. The actual file always contains the current version.

At the moment, Autosave and Versions apply only to TextEdit, Preview, and the recent updated Numbers and Pages.

For details, see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4753?viewlocale=en_US

Jul 28, 2011 11:11 AM in response to Pondini

Pondini wrote:

RobBT wrote:

Thanks for your reply. But I still do not fully understand. I hope you help me some more.

So Auto Save wil not save everything I just view in Preview.

But from your link to the Apple Support page I copy:

Versions

Each time you open a document, OS X Lion automatically saves the current version.

Is Versions saving everything I only take a quick look at in Preview then?

If so, can Versions be turned off?

Jul 28, 2011 11:23 AM in response to RobBT

That's a bit misleading; it won't make duplicate copies of anything unless you make changes. Note that everywhere else, it talks about "as you work" and "as you make changes."

It's all geared to editing documents, not just viewing them.

I'll see if I can get that line changed, though, but don't hold your breath. 😉

EDIT: I think it means, "Each time you open a new document . . . "

Jul 28, 2011 11:27 AM in response to RobBT

Every change you do in a document it save it in the current document and create a version for the documents before the change,i think you shall want to loss some change or document to loss it because it no only saving like you doing before with save or save as it also is keeping record of all your changes so is like if everytime you do a change you make a copy before and after the change.I think is more a pro than a con to upgrade ..

Jul 28, 2011 12:47 PM in response to Thebestplacehere

Thebestplacehere wrote:

I think is more a pro than a con to upgrade ..

The idea of Versions looks good to me, it certainly is not a 'con to upgrade'. The amount of disk space it uses and where (on which disk) is a bit of a concern to me. But by the time the applications I work with implement this feature that probably will be sorted out.
there's more to upgrading though.

Not so much on topic:
I do want to upgrade. Eventually. Although I do worry about the direction Apple are heading in, I don't want to get stuck in the past.
I'm disappointed AirDrop is not for my computers. And the treatment Spaces and Exposé got really withholds me of upgrading any time soon. Maybe a third party developer dives into this matter. Working with an external display connected to notebooks has changed in Lion a
nd is not particularly handy for everyone. (While using the external display only, opening the lid of the notebook in Lion turns on the display of the notebook. This was not the case before Lion.)

Jul 28, 2011 1:11 PM in response to RobBT

RobBT wrote:

. . .

The amount of disk space it uses and where (on which disk) is a bit of a concern to me.

When you edit a document, the changed "chunk" is put in a hidden folder on the same drive as the file. So the amout of space taken should be relatively small.

And, they're periodically "thinned," keeping "hourly versions for a day, daily versions for a month, and weekly versions for all previous months."

Aug 9, 2011 12:35 AM in response to Pondini

I have problems with Preview altering photos, I used to use it for a quick way to resize images for emailing or putting on Flickr. Now it doesn't allow me to "save as" I have to remember to duplicate the image before resizing otherwise I seem to lose the original. I still have the RAW file so all is not lost. Sometimes it was easier to just to use Preview than open in Photoshop.

The rest of Lion is good but I wish preview would go back to what it was before.

Sep 2, 2011 5:57 AM in response to Hazell

I don't know how this has progressed, but Autosave is a nightmare. I figured it out when I opened a photo in Preview, resized it, decided resolution was too low, and clicked the red button. To my horror there was no "do you want to save?", it had already saved my (useless) 72 dpi file. I had to dig out a backup, which was time I didn't need to waste.

Please, Apple, let us turn off Autosave.

A question about Auto Save, Versions and Preview.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.