Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset server password/setup PLEASE HELP!!

Hi, thank for looking at this and trying to help.

I am the proud owner of a mac mini lion server. The problem is in my playing around with getting a new product (like we all do) I came across the server I have done some research and I really like the idea of it and want to put it into good use. (the reason I got the server one was because of the better hard drive, before you ask why did I get it if I didn't know what the server bit is)

The only problem is, whilst playing around I set up the server. I now go back into the server app and it says type in admin name and password which is already on there in the key chain. I press connect and it fail. ( whic is weird as I would of had to of typed it in for it to be in the key chain)

I have tried different user names as I only use one password. And still it shakes at me saying it's wrong.

The question is how can I reset the Account? Without losing all my info.

PLEASE HELP I want to use this great feature!!

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 6:21 AM

18 replies

Aug 12, 2011 9:40 PM in response to stither1

Same problem as the others. I have a 2 week old Mac Mini and arrived at this point after I'd followed the Hoffman Labs (http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/1436) DNS setup and not being able to get past the "Available Servers (0)" problem rported elsewhere and then a subsequent new system restore. I also can't get past the:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

Current HostName = server.local

The DNS hostname is not available, please repair DNS and re-run this tool.

I feel I'm at the point of an erase and clean install.

Aug 28, 2011 7:52 AM in response to jb510

Hi, thought I was going mad before Ifound your post - thanks a lot! Only problem is that when I then go back into Server there a now loads of Users and Groups that I never put there (I assume they are Apple service names of some sort but I don't know much about it). Can I turn these back off so I just see what a standard Server administrator would see?

Reset server password/setup PLEASE HELP!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.