Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Mail "Organize by Conversation" & attachments icon

I've got what seems like a minor gripe about OS X Lion Mail app's new "Organize by Conversation" view (but it's driving me crazy).

As far as I can tell, if any email in a conversation (thread) has ever had an attachment, then OS X Lion shows the newest message in the "Organize by Conversation" view as bearing an attachment icon in the message viewer window.

This strikes me as unhelpful. I have conversations (threads) that go back months. Just because months ago one email in the thread had an attachment, I don't want to be fooled into thinking each new message that arrives also has an attachment.

Does anybody know if it's possible to turn this "feature" off?

John

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 8:21 AM

4 replies

Aug 2, 2011 7:27 AM in response to RichardChen

True, but that misses my point. I very much like "Organize by Conversation" view. What I don't like is a particular interface feature of "O by C' view, namely that the conversation header displays the attachment icon even when an attachment is not a contemporary part of the conversation but merely occurs somewhere in the (possibly remote) history of the conversation.

For example, one solution would be to have a greyed attachment icon if the conversation contains attachments in earlier messages only, but a black one (or a red one) if the attachment is part of the most recent message.

OS X Mail "Organize by Conversation" & attachments icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.