Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next 135 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 2:17 PM by Pondini Go to original post
  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,715 points)

    Since Time Machine backs-up everything, including all user accounts, it's preferences are not in your home folder.

     

    It's in the top-level /Library/Preferences folder.

  • tolgao Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I checked /Library/Preferences folder. It is not there. Where can I find it ?

  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,715 points)

    Yes it is.  But you won't find it via a Spotlight search, or via a Finder search (unless you specify system files).

     

    You must navigate to it, per #A7 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

  • tolgao Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I was able to find com.apple.TimeMachine.plist by using Shift+Command+G keys combination. I tried everything you suggested except fresh install of Lion.  I also cleaned my desktop by leaving only Aliases of some folders. The problem still exists. Only difference was: now my home folder is no longer grid(greyed-out). But my Desktop, Download and Application folders are still grid(greyed-out). Even installing Lion Combo did not change anything. Now, as next step, I am going to fresh install Lion. And see what happens. But I have few more questions before doing fresh install.

     

    1. I also want to format my TimeCapsule harddisk. But before doing this, I want to transfer(archive) my current TimeCapsule backups from TimeCapsule to my other harddisk which is connected to my TimeCapsule through USB. After this transfer of backups, I want to be able to browse/restore this transfered backup, by using "Browse Other Backup Disks" option. Is this possible and How can I do this operation ?

     

    2. By the way, old Airport Utility had an option of Archive backups to external usb connected disk, but new version Airport Utility(Ver. 6.1) does not have this option. I have the latest version Airport Utility(6.1). How can I overcome this problem ? Do you recommend me to downgrade my Airport Utility version, in order to use this archive option ? Where can I download old versions Airport Utility ? Thanks again.

  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,715 points)

    tolgao wrote:

    . . .

    1. I also want to format my TimeCapsule harddisk. But before doing this, I want to transfer(archive) my current TimeCapsule backups from TimeCapsule to my other harddisk which is connected to my TimeCapsule through USB. After this transfer of backups, I want to be able to browse/restore this transfered backup, by using "Browse Other Backup Disks" option. Is this possible and How can I do this operation ?

    See the green box in #Q6 of Using Time Machine with a Time Capsule.

     

     

    2. By the way, old Airport Utility had an option of Archive backups to external usb connected disk, but new version Airport Utility(Ver. 6.1) does not have this option. I have the latest version Airport Utility(6.1). How can I overcome this problem ?

    As noted in the above link, use Airport Utility 5.6.

     

     

    (EDIT:  Corrected the option number -- it's #Q6, not #Q5.  )/

     

    Message was edited by: Pondini

  • tolgao Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I downloaded and installed Airport Utility 5.6. I archived my TimeCapsule backup to my external USB Disk.

    The problem is now: when I clicked Airport Utility 6.1 icon, Airport Utility 5.6 activates. Somehow I can't access

    to Airport Utility 6.1 . What do you recommend me to do in order to activate Airport Utility 6.1 ?

     

    Other question: How can I change the names of the TimeMachine backups which are on external USB Disk ?

  • tolgao Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Correction to my last post:

     

    How can I change the names of theTimeMachine backups which are on the external USB Disk connected with USB Cable to TimeCapsule ?

  • tolgao Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I have tried all of your suggestions but the problem still exists. I reinstalled fresh Lion. I archived TimeCapsule backups to an external disk. I even erased TimeCapsule hard disk, and started new set of TC backups with fresh Lion. That did not either solve the problem. I tried with an other user account and desktop was empty so I created an empty folder on desktop and backed it up. After on timeline when I went back to older backup it was not grid(greyed-out). So it gave me hope that may be the problem was with my user account. What do you think ? Is it possible to transfer all of my current user account data to new account I created ?

     

    As a last resort, I am thinking to format the hardisk of my Mac and install Lion on clean hardisk. I will be losing all my data. Should I use Setup Assistant to restore some of my data or Should I skip that and use Migration Assistant later on after I tried to see if the problem occurs with empty account ?

     

    If my last attempt won't work out. I am seriously thinking to take my TimeCapsule for service. It is still under 2 years warranty. Do you think this problem is related to hardware failure or software related ? I don't actually want to take it to service but that is my last option. I am seriously thinking that the problem is hardware related. Thanks.

  • tolgao Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I forgot to mention one more problem. Last night, after I erased my TimeCapsule hardisk. I shutdown my MBP. This morning I started the MBP and after I logged in to my regular user account, I saw an error box saying that "the data couldn't be read because it has been corrupted". The message was coming from Automator app. Also Automator App was open. Now, This error dialog box keep appearing every time I log in to my user account. Do you have any idea why this error keeps appearing ? I have not done anything with the Automator app before.

  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,715 points)

    tolgao wrote:

     

    I downloaded and installed Airport Utility 5.6. I archived my TimeCapsule backup to my external USB Disk.

    The problem is now: when I clicked Airport Utility 6.1 icon, Airport Utility 5.6 activates. Somehow I can't access

    to Airport Utility 6.1 . What do you recommend me to do in order to activate Airport Utility 6.1 ?

    You should be able to have both versions in your Applications/Utilities folder at the same time:

     

    Screen Shot 2012-07-16 at 10.53.59 AM.png

     

     

    and, if you want, icons for both of them in your dock:

     

    Screen Shot 2012-07-16 at 10.52.48 AM.png

  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,715 points)

    tolgao wrote:

     

    Correction to my last post:

     

    How can I change the names of theTimeMachine backups which are on the external USB Disk connected with USB Cable to TimeCapsule ?

    If you mean the name of the sparse bundle, you can do that via the Finder.

     

    If you mean the name of the disk/partition, connect the drive directly to your Mac.  Right-click it in a Finder sidebar and you'll get an option to rename it.

  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,715 points)

    tolgao wrote:

    . . .

    Is it possible to transfer all of my current user account data to new account I created ?

    Yes, it's possible.  It's tedious and time-consuming, however. 

     

    You have to copy all your stuff, but you can't do it on one process, since the home folder and all the default sub-folders (Desktop, Documents, etc.) are protected.  You have to copy the contents of each default sub-folder.  See Transferring files from one User Account to another.

     

    Try copying everything from the Desktop in your current user account to the new one (but not the Desktop folder itself), then run a couple of backups and see if the new account has the same problem.  If not, that's likely your best bet.

     

    As a last resort, I am thinking to format the hardisk of my Mac and install Lion on clean hardisk. I will be losing all my data. Should I use Setup Assistant to restore some of my data or Should I skip that and use Migration Assistant later on after I tried to see if the problem occurs with empty account ?

    Since we don't know exactly what's wrong, either of those will copy the existing files & folders, so is likely to bring the problem back. 

     

     

    Do you think this problem is related to hardware failure or software related ?

    There's no indication it's hardware.  Everything points to something damaged/corrupted in some files or folders in your user account.   

     

    Your best bet is probably copying the contents of the folders to the new user account.

  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,715 points)

    tolgao wrote:

     

    I forgot to mention one more problem. Last night, after I erased my TimeCapsule hardisk. I shutdown my MBP. This morning I started the MBP and after I logged in to my regular user account, I saw an error box saying that "the data couldn't be read because it has been corrupted". The message was coming from Automator app. Also Automator App was open. Now, This error dialog box keep appearing every time I log in to my user account. Do you have any idea why this error keeps appearing ? I have not done anything with the Automator app before.

    Is it in the Login Items for your user account?  Or anything there that would use it?

     

    If not, try verifying your internal HD, per #6 in Using Disk Utility.

  • tolgao Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Yes, by copying one by one files of desktop to new user account worked. Now grid(grey out) problem does not occur. But it looks like copying everything one by one is going to be a big job. How about iTunes folder ? How am I going to copy iTunes folder ? Can I restore it from TimeMachine Backups ? I don't think that iTunes backup is also corrupted ? Is it ? How about Mail ? How about Bookmarks ? How am I going to transfer Applications ? How about plists files and other files associated with apps ? How am I going to move them ? How about my iPhoto Library ? How am I going to move them ? Would it work if I restore iTunes and iPhoto libraries from corrupted backups ? Because they are quite big ? Thanks alot again for your comprehensive help.

  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,715 points)

    tolgao wrote:

     

    Yes, by copying one by one files of desktop to new user account worked. Now grid(grey out) problem does not occur. But it looks like copying everything one by one is going to be a big job.

    You don't need to copy one-by-one.   Select everything in the folder, but not the folder itself.  For example, open the old Documents folder in a separate Finder window and copy it to the /Shared folder, then log on as the new user and copy from /Shared to the new one, per Transferring files from one User Account to another.

     

     

    (Don't just drag them, you'll end up with permissions problems).

     

    Message was edited by: Pondini

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next