Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Desktop keep reverting to old image after upgrading to Lion

Why does my Desktop keep reverting to old image after upgrading to Lion? Every time I log into the Imac I have to reset the Desktop image.

iMac

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 8:54 PM

I am having the exact same problem. I keep resetting the background image, and the next time I log in, it has replaced my background image with the default galaxy image.

I do NOT have "change picture: every [30 minutes] checked.

Glad to know I'm not th eonly one. Any ideas?

10 replies

Aug 4, 2011 3:54 AM in response to Kelika

Hi,

Thanks for the response to this problem. However, while you are correct with your suggestion for "purifying" whatever current desk tops you are using, if and when you have to re-start your machine for whatever reason, the same old problem re-occurs - back to the default picture instead of that which you have chosen to use. So at the moment I am no further forward. I will try and take the issue to MACUSER Magazine to which I have subscribed for a good few years.

Regards,

Aug 10, 2011 1:47 PM in response to michaelfromrustington

Anyone still with this problem may wish to check out this solution which i picked up from other discussions going on within this site.

Helpful AnswerRe: Lion resets my wallpaper to default "galaxy" pic after every restart

Jul 22, 2011 9:43 PM (in response to mgm923)

Here is how I fixed. I assumed that the issue is iPhoto takes to long to start or "mount" (as in my case using disk utility).

I dragged the picture I wanted to use from the iPhoto event to the desktop, renamed it and dragged it into a shared folder in finder.

Then I selected that picture using the + icon under System Preferences>Desktop and Screensavers.

Tried it a few times and it works after every restart.

michaelfromrustington

Aug 29, 2011 11:22 AM in response to Chris Milligan

Hi Chris,

I have been away for a while and have just managed to catch up on this issue.

I can say that i have just run through your solution and can report that it works fine for me. I put a copy of the desk top picture that I wanted to use into the Picture folder in my personal directory and tested it by several re-boots and it finally does not revert to the awful galaxy picture. Thank s very much for your help on this and I hope some of the other folks who have experienced this annoying consequence of going "Lion" pick up on this as it should work for them also.

Regards,

MJB

Rustington

Jul 29, 2012 7:51 PM in response to michaelfromrustington

If your wallpaper changes back to default (Galaxy) after reboot or after logout it is because

the wallpaper you set was on another drive.

and this drive loads after your settings are loaded.

MAC OS X Lion / Mountain Lion does not save your wallpaper on the native HDD, rather tries to load the wallpaper from the original HDD, i guess only the path to the wallpaper is saved in the OS X settings.

Anyways..

what happens is that when your OS X boots up it does not find the path to your wallpaper since the HDD you've saved your wallpapers in has not mounted yet. 😟

One basic solution for this is to save your wallpapers in the HDD where you've installed the MAC OS X..

but I didnt want to save all my wallpapers in Native Mountain Lion HDD, so i figured out my perfect fix..!! User uploaded file

This is how i fixed..

I found this file in my Lion install drive.. autodiskmount.plist

Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/autodiskmount.plist

If you can't find it on your OS X Install Drive then you can make one by typing

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="0.9">

<dict>

<key>AutomountDisksWithoutUserLogin</key><true/>

</dict>

</plist>

rename ur txt file to autodiskmount.plist

save this in your MAC OS X HDD

Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/autodiskmount.plist

Voila..!!

restart your system..

User uploaded file

Now save your wallpapers where ever you want on your computer and i didnt have to worry about the wallpaper changing back to default.

Why does my Desktop keep reverting to old image after upgrading to Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.