Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Mail & DropBox

Hi all,

I've recently retired Office 2004 (and hence Entourage) as part of my migration to Lion, although my primary workstation is still a PPC running 10.4.11. I have 3 other Macs I sometimes use (now all Lion) and prior to the migration to Mail I had put my "Office Identities" file in my DropBox folder with an alias pointing to the usual location. Thus whenever I logged on to one of the other Macs DropBox would sync the "Office Identities" folder and voila all my mail was synced and I could use Entourage with a current set of mail files.

With Mail I've tried a similar thing with ~/Library/Mail/ folder but Mail seems to hate an alias and tries to start from scratch.

What do other people here do?

Regards,

Shawn

17" Powerbook G4, MacBook Pro 15", G4 500MHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Extensive AirPort network (4 x express, 1 x extreme), AirDisk SA

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 11:41 AM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2011 12:12 AM in response to Shawn Grinter 2

To answer my own question!:

I've fixed the initial problem by using a symlink rather than an alias, Mail seems to honor this.

The problem now is that although the Lion system will "upgrade" the Mail folder when it reads it, the Tiger Mail app can't downgrade it once read by Lion.

Sigh.... back to the drawing board.

Regards,

Shawn

OS X Mail & DropBox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.