Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Embedded signatures being stripped of images from email replies

We created a new signature for our company. In the signature, there are embedded images. Most of our messages are sent from an XP environment using Outlook 2007 on our desktop and notebook computers. If we reply to a message from an iphone, all of the embedded images in the signatures are stripped out from the email thread, leaving only the file names of the images in their place. It looks like a big mess. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thx!

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 12:06 PM

15 replies

Apr 18, 2017 3:11 AM in response to chuckfromnull

I had the same problem and found a solution!

Mail for IOS is standard set to sent out e-mails in plain text. you can 'fool' the signature settings on your i-phone to make sure your email is always sent in HTML from your phone. I found this simple solution on the web. applied it, and it worked! http://support.exclaimer.com/topics/739-how-to-set-up-an-iphone-to-always-send-i n-html/

May 22, 2017 11:56 PM in response to chuckfromnull

Here's the way to do it. (There are lots of blogs that describe this in more detail):

- host the image on the web somewhere public for example http://www.myURL.com/files/mylogo.png

- on your PC, create an HTML signature, pointing at the image on the web

- test the signature on your PC in outlook

- from outlook, email yourself an email with just the signature

- on your phone, open the email, select all, copy

- go to settings, mail, signatures and paste

- IMPORTANT STEP: shake the phone and confirm undo - this removes font changes etc. that mess it up

- all done.

May 10, 2012 1:06 PM in response to chuckfromnull

I have this exact same issue. We have a new standard signature for all our employees, which includes a .png image of our company logo.

When someone sends an email to the iphone, the signature arrives intact, with the image viewable. If the iphone user goes to reply, however, the image of our logo is stripped out of the body of the email entirely.

When forwarding from the iphone, the user is promted to 'include attachments' - choosing the affirmative preserves the image as originally sent.

But with reply, nothing. Simply opening the editor strips out the embedded image of our logo and replaces it with a placeholder filename.

Any help?

Jan 18, 2013 5:48 AM in response to chuckfromnull

Did you ever figure out a resolution? I've been trying to figure this one out for a few weeks now and it seems impossible.

Have two images in my signature setup within outlook. One with a hyperlink inside

When replying from iphone i receive the following message back to me

<image001.png>

Test

<image002.png>

Android does not experience this issue as it keeps the HTML. I have no problem with iphone switching the message to plain text, but is there anyway to remove the previous signature (or at least the words) when doing so?

Oct 17, 2013 7:24 AM in response to chuckfromnull

I don't know "why", but I did figure out somethign this morning. My main email account is a POP3 connection to my mail server using Outlook. My email signture contains a graphic. When I open an email I sent on my iPad, the image is stripped out (although there is a suspicious WinMail.dat that makes me think something is reformatting the email). I fiddled with my email signature where the image was pasted in, and inserted as an image using various formats (GIF, PNG, TIF, JPG), all the same results. My outlook email format is HTML.

Then I tried the same thing from my other corporate email account that is attached do an Exchange Server... and that works. My signature on my Exchange mailbox has a copy/pasted image in it, HTML as the format and the image always shows up on the ipad. No Winmail.dat

So...here is the crazy part. I emailed myself from my POP3 mailbox to my Exchange mailbox...when I opened that email from my Exchange mailbox on the Ipad, the image was there.

So... does the iPad strip images that originate from a POP3 connection, or does the POP3 server change the format of the email such that the iPad no longer displays the image inline?

I'd be curious to know if all the others having trouble with images in their Outlook signature are also using a POP3 connection from Outlook...

Oct 17, 2013 7:40 AM in response to jchapman3

No POP3 here. I'm using only Exchange. I've found that both iPhone and iPad will send the signature intact with no problems when I am writing a new email. It's replies and forwards that have issues.

My theory is that iOS uses a different CSS template for replies and forwards—as evident in the body text being dark grey as opposed to black and links taking on a lighter blue color—and that template is not friendly to images in the signature.

Embedded signatures being stripped of images from email replies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.