Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail attributes grayed out - unavailable

I've been trying to alter the display for mail in my new Macbook Air to display whether or not it has attachments and find that mail attributes for all my mail folders are grayed out, except for date and folder. How can I get those attributes back? Why are they grayed out in the new version of Mac Mail?

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 1:59 PM

Try this work around.

Open Mail, not in Full screen mode. You need to be in classic lay-out.

< Command - , > to open preferences if you need to switch

Then from here <control-click> anywhere in the column area to make additions to the column

User uploaded file

revert back to the new 3 column view. If you loose one of the columns grab one of the vertical sides and drag it to resize.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2011 1:59 PM in response to lmgreenfield

Try this work around.

Open Mail, not in Full screen mode. You need to be in classic lay-out.

< Command - , > to open preferences if you need to switch

Then from here <control-click> anywhere in the column area to make additions to the column

User uploaded file

revert back to the new 3 column view. If you loose one of the columns grab one of the vertical sides and drag it to resize.

Sep 28, 2012 6:10 AM in response to lmgreenfield

I had a strangely bizarre fix to this after fiddling around for a minute......

-In mail I hit: Command , (to get into options)

-Under the "Viewing" tab I clicked on "Use Classic Layout" and closed the options box.

My mail then reverted back to the old layout where sent messages were demonstrated accurately. After deciding that I didn't want to continue in the classic layout, I repeated the process above and unchecked the "Use Classic Layout" option and BANG, my sent messages remained in the correct format within the new mail layout!

I hope this works for others. These Mountain Lion Bugs are driving me mad.

Good Day

Mac Mail attributes grayed out - unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.