Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration from 10.5.8 to 10.7 Lion - new Mac mini

I just bought the new Mac mini and want to migrate my data from my MacBook pro running 10.5.8

No matter what I try, setup assistant does not recognize my old system. I have the macs on the same network and I get the error "You need to upate Migration assistant on your other Mac" but here is no update available.

I also tried to migrate from a Time Machine backup, but Setup Assistant could not seem to find the backup file.

Thanks

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7), Migration from MacBook pro 10.5.8

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 6:55 PM

8 replies

Jul 29, 2011 7:07 AM in response to Steve Obenski

I wonder if that has something to do with Rosetta exclusions? Or?

Because previous versions, one could skip an OS release.

Based on your symptoms & Jolly Giant ... the only immediate solution would be to update your notebook to snow leopard first. Then retry migration assistant on the mini? Doesn't really make sense.

I'd file a bug report with Apple and call tech support.

Jul 31, 2011 5:16 AM in response to Steve Obenski

I was able to make this work by putting the 10.5.8 machine in target disk mode (holding down t during startup), and then connecting it to the mini via a firewire800 cable.

I called Apple support and they could not confirm one way or the other whether migration from 10.5.8 was supposed to be supported or not. It certainly did not work for me via network or time machine, but the FireWire approach worked fine.

Aug 10, 2011 7:31 AM in response to sfinefield

Ok I finally got Migration Assistant to work, transferring from MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.8, to new MacBook Air running Lion 10.7.

I ran software update on the MacBook Pro. I then also manually installed the patch/update for the 10.6.8 Migration Assistant, which allows it to interface with Lion machines:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1420

(Why does this not get installed automatically when running the software update...)

I then went into System Preferences on both machines.

Under Security I turned off the firewall.

At this point I tried to use Migration Assistant, with the computers connected by ethernet cable - and got the "looking for other computers" message on both machines.

I went back into System Preferences on both machines.

Under Sharing, I checked the box Internet Sharing - and ignored the dire warnings how my ISP would cut me off etc. and activated this.

I then restarted Migration Assistant on both machines, and was able to run it no problem.

Hope this helps as it took me a couple of hours of messing around to figure this out...

Once Migration Assistant has finished, you should go back into Sharing and uncheck the Internet Sharing boxes on both machines.

Aug 10, 2011 6:29 PM in response to Steve Obenski

I just spent about 6 hours figuring this out (migration process from Macbook 10.5.8 to new Mac Mini with Lion 10.7). Short answer: It IS possible!

First, an important disclaimer...if all else fails, call Apple tech support and ask for Marvin G. He just helped me and was the only person (after 6 Apple Care calls) that could take care of this. The guy is a wizzard.

Do not try the followng with this type of migration:

- Wireless migration (epic fail)

- Ethernet migration (epic fail)

Do try:

- Firewire migration (successful, but read on...)

For me, firewire migration was only successful after putting the Macbook (the source machine) into Target Disk mode BUT ALSO then treating the Macbook like it's just a drive rather than another Mac. That is, when the Mini asked me if I was migrating "from another Mac" and I said yes, the process failed. It was not until I chose the option to migrate from another "disk" ( I forget the exact language here, I believe it says "Time Machine or other disk," or similar) that the process worked. That was the x-factor.

Apple should do a MUCH better job of disclosing that this process is not the breeze they make it out to be in the new Mini manual, at least for an average user like me. I hope this helps all of you. Good luck.

Migration from 10.5.8 to 10.7 Lion - new Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.