Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is VShield Update?

What is VShield Update and why does Activity Monitor say it is using up to 98% of my CPU since I updated to Lion? My computer is often very sluggish since I upgraded to Lion and I noticed VShield Update using up to 98% of my CPU activity. Can't figure out what it is and what to do about it.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 8:26 PM

10 replies

Jul 29, 2011 10:29 AM in response to kwhite319

I had the same problem. I've seen it pop up from time to time before 10.7 but it's been running near-continously after upgrading. I force quit VShield in the Activity Monitor. Then, poking around, I found the /usr/local/vscanx directory. This contains an unistall command which I exectued.

After force quitting in Activity Monitor, try the following in Terminal.app:

$ cd /usr/local/vscanx

$ ./VirusScan\ Uninstall.command

I saw the following:

VirusScan for Mac Uninstall

-------------------

This will uninstall VirusScan for Mac. If you wish to

proceed, authenticate below or close this window

if you wish to cancel.

Password:

Uninstalling VirusScan ...

Shutting down VirusScan Daemons...

Cleaning Scheduled Tasks...

Removing VirusScan Application Folders...

Removing VirusScan Support files...

Removing VirusScan Engine...

Removing VirusScan Support Documentation...

Group record below will be deleted:

Cleaning up...

VirusScan has been successfully uninstalled.

After it was done, all was deleted. Time will tell whether this screws up anything else... (Thank you Time Machine!)

Sep 3, 2011 1:13 PM in response to ebw-cs

Thanks ebw-cs!

I restored Viruscan from Time Machine (both the App and the Scheduler in the Utilities folder). Once the restore was complete, fired up Terminal and entered your lines of code and saw the same responses you recorded above.

All is quiet on the CPU front. VShieldupdate appears connquered.

Thanks again!

Mar 2, 2012 8:53 AM in response to roarers

I had the exact issue mentioned at the beginning of this discussion.

As Roarers suggested, I did have a copy of McAfee's on my system, now rendered incompatible by lion. I ran its uninstall process, and the problem was instantly and completely fixed. I do not have VMware on my computer, so the process was indeed from McAfee.

Prior to uninstalling it, my CPU usage was always at 45% even when doing nothing, my fans were blowing between 3500 and 5500, and my CPU was 170 degrees F.

I'm really glad this fixed it.... CPU usage dropped to 4%, temp dropped to 120F, and the Vshieldupate process is no longer running.

Thanks, Roarers.

Oct 12, 2012 7:59 AM in response to kwhite319

VShield is the update engine of McAfee security scan for mac. If you open your McAfee preferences, you can see when it starts an update of the virus library. it will be on the same time your processor is overloaded.

So, aparently updating McAfee is a very heavy business...

I have no solution for this, accept uninstalling McAfee.

What is VShield Update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.