Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari 5.1 ate my Disconnect extension

Until about 5m ago, I was using the Safari Extension called Disconnect (http://www.disconnect.me/) to help with privacy.

I restarted Safari because WebProcess had (once again) become an enourmous resource hog (despite having only 4 tabs open), and when I did, I got a prompt saying Disconnect was "no longer valid" (or something to that effect) with my only option being "OK." When I subsequently went to my Extensions, Disconnect was no longer there, and when I try to reinstall it, I get ...

User uploaded file

Anybody have a suggestion as to what might be going on? Has Apple taken a dislike to Disconnect and decided to force everyone to stop using it? It still works fine on FF and Chrome.

Macbook Pro 13, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 10:17 PM

20 replies

Jul 30, 2011 1:34 PM in response to 100 Watt Walrus

Hey there, I'm the developer of Disconnect. Thanks guys for pointing me here.

It'd be awesome if somebody from Apple could give me a hand. I spent most the night troubleshooting to little avail and thousands of people are^H^H^H were using the extension(s). :-(

Here's all I've been able to come up with so far:

* Besides Disconnect, my other Safari extension, Like+1, is also

uninstallable and getting automatically uninstalled

* The problems happen in Safari 5.0.2 and up

* The extensions haven't changed in weeks

* My developer account seems to be in good standing, i.e., isn't

blacklisted or the like

Jul 30, 2011 1:41 PM in response to byoogle

Well byoogle, it's a true pleasure to meet you. Your extension has helped me keep FaceBook corralled in it's own little corner of the net and not following me like a personal injury lawyer after a workplace accident.

Please let me know if I can help get the extension working again, although my knowledge of programming is non-existent.

Besides Disconnect, my other Safari extension, Like+1, is also uninstallable and getting automatically uninstalled

This makes me feel better, because it suggests that it isn't an isolated incident.

Has there been any word from Apple?

Jul 30, 2011 1:55 PM in response to Nick Jinks

I haven't heard anything from Apple, but like I said, my developer account doesn't seem to be banned. I guess they could've blacklisted my extensions individually, but I think there's more likely some conflict between Safari 5.0.2+ and my common code.

It really ***** that, unlike you guys, most of the thousands of users who've installed over the last few months already have or are going to get the extension automatically uninstalled and probably won't even know what happened because the error message is meaningless.

Jul 30, 2011 11:32 PM in response to lamosca

Thanks for the extra info.

Some sort of expiration was my first guess and the first thing I checked because I registered with Apple almost exactly a year ago. But I made a test extension that's installable, so the problem is elsewhere.

Since I posted, we managed to isolate the issue to a large chunk of code. If Safari's error messaging and handling was any better, we could easily have a fix by now and no broken users.

(I hope I didn't say any bad words this time!)

safari 5.1 ate my Disconnect extension

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.