Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility and DiskWarrior trouble with external hard-drive.

I got an external hard-drive that doesn't show up on finder. On both Disk Utility and DiskWarrior it keeps mounting and unmounting. Disk Utility when trying to repair, spits this out when it unmounts...

2011-07-28 22:43:43 -0700: Problems were encountered during repair of the partition map

2011-07-28 22:43:43 -0700: Error: Some information was unavailable during an internal lookup.

2011-07-28 22:43:43 -0700: : Some information was unavailable during an internal lookup.

2011-07-28 22:43:43 -0700: [DUDiskController mountDisk] expecting DUDisk, but got nil

On DiskWarrior it simply says 'Directory cannot be rebuilt due to disk hardware failure (-36,2747)

Earlier today it would stay mounted and Disk Utility would spit out...

Verify and Repair volume “Back-up Hard Drive”

Checking file systemChecking Journaled HFS Plus volume.

Checking extents overflow file.

Checking catalog file.

Invalid sibling link

Rebuilding catalog B-tree.

Invalid node structure

The volume Back-up Hard Drive could not be repaired.

Volume repair complete.

Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

while DiskWarrior would try to fix it, but on

Step 5: Locating directory date...

Speed reduced by disk malfunction: 339,474, er make that 340,239, er make that 341,327

and I finally gave up there.

I try to fix the Invalid sibling link error via Terminal and I get this...

imac-2:~ Migrated$ fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk2s2

** /dev/rdisk2s2 (NO WRITE)

Can't open /dev/rdisk2s2: Resource busy

Is there ANY THING I can do to get it to stay mounted and possibly fix this? This is my back-up hard-drive!!

 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac , Mac OS X (10.5.3),  4 GB RAM - 1 terabyte hard-drive. 

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 11:21 PM

11 replies

Jul 29, 2011 11:11 AM in response to babowa

As babowa implies more polietly, your disk isn't failing, it has failed:

Directory cannot be rebuilt due to disk hardware failure (-36,2747)

Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

Speed reduced by disk malfunction: 339,474, er make that 340,239, er make that 341,327

😟

Get a new drive and back up immediately.

Jul 29, 2011 12:29 PM in response to Jesse Smith1

It's the cord that's being used that decides if it shows up, or if it shows up and then goes away over and over. Using a cord where it stays on in the programs, when I run Disk Utility of the darked out part of the hard-drive, it spits out...

Verifying and repairing partition map for “MICRONET”

Checking prerequisites

Checking the partition list

Checking for an EFI system partition

Checking the EFI system partition’s size

Checking the EFI system partition’s file system

Checking all HFS data partition loader spaces

Reviewing boot support loaders

Checking Core Storage Physical Volume partitions

Updating Windows boot.ini files as required

The partition map appears to be OK

while the part of the disk just below it that's light spits out

Verifying volume “Back-up Hard Drive”

Checking file system

Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

Verify and Repair volume “Back-up Hard Drive”

Starting repair tool:

Checking file system

Volume repair complete.

Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

Disk Utility stopped repairing “Back-up Hard Drive”: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

while DiskWarrior tries to rebuild it and spits out a memory error.

Mar 3, 2013 12:20 PM in response to baltwo

Hi Baltwo

I am afraid that I am in the same situation as Jesse Smith1. Diskwarrior also says: Directory cannot be rebuilt due to disk hardware failure (-36, 2747).

Your recommedation is: back up as many of my files as possible, reformart the disk, and restore my back-up files.

Can you explain me how to back up my files since I can not start the iMac and I am accesing just through fire-wire connection to it?

Looking forward to your answer

Thanks

M

Mar 3, 2013 1:11 PM in response to marioclemente

marioclemente wrote:

. . .

Can you explain me how to back up my files since I can not start the iMac and I am accesing just through fire-wire connection to it?

Does that mean the problem is with the internal HD, and you do have it started in Target Disk mode, and are accessing it from another Mac?

If so, while running from the other Mac, copy what you can from the problem Mac's HD, either to the other Mac's internal HD, or (probably better) to an external HD connected to it. You probably won't be able to copy everything, and it's possible the disk will fail completely at any moment, so start with your most important files.

Nov 6, 2013 11:42 AM in response to Jesse Smith1

I'm having the same issue with a sparsebundle disk image that I used for Time Machine backup to a NAS. Disk Utility says it cannot repair the disk and Disk Warrior says Directory cannot be rebuilt due to disk hardware failue (-36, 2747). I tried repairing with fsck as well and I get the same error (Resource busy) as Jesse Smith1.

I'm not sure how the file got corrupted. I tried to copy the image to a local disk and tried the repairs but got the same errors. Since it's a disk image rather than an external hard drive I believe this could be caused by some software issue. I'm not sure why Disk Warrior reports it as 'hardware failure'. It's 5 months worth of Time Machine backups so I would really like it to be restored. Please let me know if there is a way to fix this. Thanks!

Nov 7, 2013 3:49 AM in response to Jesse Smith1

I had similar problem yesterday. I have external USB drive with FAT and encrypted HFS+ partition. For no reason encrypted journaled HFS+ partition refused to decrypt and rejected correct password. FAT partition was working. I tried to scan it and repair it with disk tool only to get information on non recoverable hardware error. I was also advised to backup my data (encrypted and inaccessible - very funny). Disk Warrior said Directory cannot be rebuilt due to disk hardware failue (-36, 2747). I was repeating Disk Tool scan and repair operation over and over, always ended the same way but there was differences in scan duration. At the end of the day, when I was ready to give up after many hopeless hours, partition appeared out of nowhere in finder's sidebar. I copied all the data, what took all night and just finished scanning it with DiskWarrior. It found few errors and fixed them somehow. If not this sudden resurection I planned to put it into another mac (preferably not Mavericks) as this looked nothing like hardware failure. All S.M.A.R.T parameters normal.

Lesson for the future: backup your backup and use encryption only if you absolutely need it - otherwise you're left with jigsaw you'll never solve. Unencrypted partitions are possible to recover. I hope that my history will give you patience and some hope.

Jun 18, 2016 5:54 AM in response to Jesse Smith1

I know this is late but I thought that anyone looking for help on this would benefit.

The "DiskWarrior Error (-36 2747)" message may be the result of the OS trying to rebuild the directory preventing DiskWarrior for doing its thing. You need to find and kill this process.

type: ps -ef | grep fsck_hfs and you should get something like this:

0 67332 18 0 6:26am ?? 1:02.06 /System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/Contents/Resources/../../../../../../sbin/fs ck_hfs -y /dev/disk5s2

To kill it, type kill followed by the second number from the left, in this case: kill 67332

The disk activity stops, and you can then run DiskWarrior and see if it can fix the drive.

Disk Utility and DiskWarrior trouble with external hard-drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.