Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will find my iPhone work out of country?

Whilst on vacation in Mexico (from Canada), my iPhone 4 has been stolen.

I had the FindMyiPhone app, but when visiting me.com, it is unable to locate it.

Would this be because mobile data is turned off, and, since I have visited the Rogers website to disable the phone service (to avoid incurring additional costs), is the phone able to work with this FindMyPhone app.

I have set a mobile lock and a message set in the FindMyPhone website, but they are both 'Pending'. The phone was completely out of power when it was stolen, so, if the thief does charge it and turn it on, will they get to see these messages? Are the messages tied to the SIM or to the IMEI?

If the thief wipes it or change the SIM, do these messages still get displayed?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 5:58 AM

Find My Phone will work everywhere. However, all a thief has to do is turn the phone off...remove the sim card...or restore the phone as a new device in iTunes to defeat Find My Phone. Reporting your phone stolen to both the police & your carrier should be done immediately. You should also change your password for all email accounts & iTunes. In fact change passwords for anything you ever used a password for on your phone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2011 5:58 AM in response to jones6951

Find My Phone will work everywhere. However, all a thief has to do is turn the phone off...remove the sim card...or restore the phone as a new device in iTunes to defeat Find My Phone. Reporting your phone stolen to both the police & your carrier should be done immediately. You should also change your password for all email accounts & iTunes. In fact change passwords for anything you ever used a password for on your phone.

Will find my iPhone work out of country?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.