Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unresponsive keyboard in keynote

Recently, my keyboard has become unresponsive in keynote. Here are a list of symptoms:

• Keyboard is responsive in all other programs except pages, numbers, and keynote
  • Keyboard is intermittently responsive in pages, numbers and keynote. I have found no regular pattern. Sometimes what I type is recognized, sometimes not.
  • Multiple keyboards are unresponsive. I use a usb keyboard, but my bluetooth keyboard is also unresponsive in keynote (but is responsive in other programs).
  • Attempted restart several times.

Keynote '09: 5.1 (1018)

Pages '09: 4.1 (923)

Numbers '09: 2.1 (436)

iMac: 3 GHz, Core2Duo, 4GB mem.

If anyone has experienced similar please help. I will try and reinstall programs if problems persist, but would like to avoid this if possible.

- Doug

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 10:47 PM

Hi Doug,

I seem to have the same issue, but I'm on 10.7 Lion. I'm not sure why this happens, it just happens suddenly and OFTEN for me. I have to quit keynote and then reopen. This is frustrating when I'm trying to make a presentation and I have to close and open keynote 5-10 times in an hours if not more.

Any solutions? I emailed Apple about this bug but haven't heard back from them yet.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2011 10:47 PM in response to MinnGrad

Hi Doug,

I seem to have the same issue, but I'm on 10.7 Lion. I'm not sure why this happens, it just happens suddenly and OFTEN for me. I have to quit keynote and then reopen. This is frustrating when I'm trying to make a presentation and I have to close and open keynote 5-10 times in an hours if not more.

Any solutions? I emailed Apple about this bug but haven't heard back from them yet.

Sep 21, 2011 2:44 AM in response to MinnGrad

Same problem here. First it happend only when I was using the bluetooth keyboard. But now the same thing happens while using the normal macbook pro keyboard.

And no real solution found so far. Although switching to an other program seems to work for al little while... So I keep hitting cmd+tab every time it happens. Which is almost every 5 minutes... Annoying.

Anyone?

Using:

Keynote '09: 5.1 (1018)

MacBook Pro: Core2Duo, 4GB mem.

Oct 4, 2011 5:01 PM in response to MinnGrad

Count me in too... Lion, latest version opf Keynote. I don't actually switch out of the program -- I click around the screen on various items and that "frees" it. I actually just bought a new keyboard, assuming that was it. Nope. I'm about to start eliminating all my "helper" apps so see if there's a conflict. Will report back if I find anything. Sigh. Apple...help!

Oct 10, 2011 1:37 AM in response to MinnGrad

Hi everyone -- Quick survey, because I think I solved the problem (or at least isolated it). I tried looking for software conflicts, closing virtually all apps and add-ons. Nada. Then I thought about hardware. I had already replaced my keyboard, almost sure it was just dying, and it hadn't helped. Now: Are you all using a Magic Mouse? I swapped mine for a Microsoft mouse and the problem seems to have vanished. Please let me know -- if it's confirmed, there's a chance Apple can actually do something to fix it...

Oct 10, 2011 4:01 PM in response to jayrusalem

Jay,

I am not using a Magic Mouse and I still have the problem. It hasn't manifested in the recent weeks all to often, I'm not quite sure why but I've been running quite smoothly. I recently ran all the different unix scripts to keep my computer clean, maybe it fixed something that wa wrong? Who knows. I downloaded a program called Onyx which is a free utility for running unix commands and doing maintances.

Unresponsive keyboard in keynote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.