Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

quicktime X playback controls disappear for good

This is a longstanding issue I have had that has remained even after updating from SL to Lion.

When launching a video file, the playback controls disappear when I move the cursor outside of the window, which is the expected behavior. However, the controls never come back. I cannot control the video playback at all using my mouse, and have to close the window and open another before I can see any playback controls.

I've tried removing all the preference panes and quicktime codecs that could conceivably be causing issues, including Parian, Flip4Mac, and EyeTV.

I tried deleting the quicktime prefs as well.

No luck there.

Anyone experiencing this, or have any other ideas?

- Ray

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 27" 2.8 Ghz i7

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 8:33 AM

4 replies

Aug 10, 2011 3:38 PM in response to Grey Podder

Well that might be a workaround for some (although hardly in my case, since I don't like Terminal) - but I mean this is an incredible bug. As far as I can see, not only the transport controls disappear, but also the close button - and even the possibility of closing the clip over keyboard, with Ctrl-W, doesn't work anymore?? Or is this only on my system?

So after having played several clips, and also because of this great auto-reopen feature once you restart an app, I have like 10-30-200 or whatever number of QT-clips opened...

OMG, can't be like Apple, once famous for revolutionizing the production techniques of the cinematic industry, didn't notice THIS during develpement..., there has to be some misunderstanding on my side, right????

Jan 4, 2013 7:52 PM in response to klutzak

I'm having the exact same issue. I lanch a video in QuickTime Player (Version 10.2 - 603.6) and the title bar and player controls are there as expected. Note I'm in the windowed mode (not full screen). I click play within the player contorls and the video start playing. I move my cursor out of the window bounds and the player controls and title bar disappear. So far all of this is normal. But if I bring my cursor back within the window area, the player controls and title bar never reappear. I try everything- clicking in the window area, moving my cursor in and out, bring the QuickTime app into focus, etc. Nothing will bring the controls back. I can tell that the are really there, because if I click where the play/pause button should be, the video will play or pause. I can even click where the scrub bar should be and the video will jump to that part of the video.

I've tried using the third command (Always show titlebar/controller) on this page:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=775514

defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGUIVisibilityNeverAutohide 1

and that dose cause the controler and title bar to stay on the screen at all times. But that’s not what I want- I want it to disappear when my cursor is out of the window (which is the normal behavior). If I run the command to undo it:

defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGUIVisibilityNeverAutohide 0

that will return QuickTime to the same messed up functionality. I'm running OS 10.8.2 on a 2012 Mac Mini. I also found other people on the boards that seems to be having the same problem from years ago so it seem like it might be a long-standing problem. Any thoughts?

Other threads:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3639006

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2595095

quicktime X playback controls disappear for good

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.