Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yahoo keeps disconnecting on ichat on lion 10.7

I am trying to use yahoo on ichat and its been working fine for the past days but today it keeps disconnecting and i cannot use it. when i connect to yahoo thru Adium it owrks fine. any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), quadcore i7, thunderbolt

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 9:44 AM

14 replies

Nov 20, 2011 2:10 PM in response to latinogringo82

Hi All,

Yahoo effectively allows only one login at a time.

Logging in with the Yahoo app or through an app like Adium will boot iChat Off line.

(Also consider Web Browser Logins and default periods that may entail)

User uploaded file
10:09 PM Sunday; November 20, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Nov 20, 2011 2:24 PM in response to Howmanoid

Hi,

Go to the Finder and thre Go Menu and Hold down the ALT key then Select the Library that appears, then Preferences

This is the Home folder/Library (You can also use Go to Folder and type in ~/Library/Preferences )

In the Preferences folder find com.apple.ichat.Yahooo.plist and it;s associated .lockfile

Drag both to the Trash and restart iChat which will create them.

If that does not work try deleting the com.apple.IMAgent.plist and it's .lockfile (do this separately so we know which one worked.)

User uploaded file
10:24 PM Sunday; November 20, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 4, 2012 1:37 PM in response to baycrew

Hi,

iChat logs into the Yahoo Servers on port 443 and port 80.

Little Snitch reports the Yahoo beta app uses these ports

xUser uploaded file

Some are for the Video Broadcast (You elect to Stream it and who can see it)

Chats are then Audio chats with people watching the video Stream.

I am not entirely sure that the last line is Audio as it may be Buddy Pic "feed".

However it does provide three extra connections to the Yahoo servers that Confirm/maintain a Login.

Also the port 443 connection is with Yahoo's Mail server in the Yahoo App which it is not in iChat.

This "Split" may also help keep a presence active.

User uploaded file
9:37 PM Wednesday; January 4, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 4, 2012 2:19 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hmmm. Those appear to be very "friendly" ports. Thanks for posting.

It's definitely an iChat issue. I reached out to my corporate Mac distribution list and all users on iChat reported Yahoo! disconnection issues (AOL works fine). Anyone using the native Yahoo! Messenger or Adium dot not have any issues whatsoever.

The Yahoo! options in iChat are non existant, which makes me believe its something hardcoded on the Yahoo! side of things that is causing the issue.

Jan 5, 2012 12:38 PM in response to baycrew

Hi,

Little Snitch tells me that only the base Login is on the same port to the Same server between iChat's IM Plug-in and th Yahoo App.

After that iChat uses some Proxies and API servers

User uploaded file

I am not noticing any drop out here but I do only have iChat open for about 3 hours each evening (my time) whilst I answer threads here in the Communities.

User uploaded file
8:38 PM Thursday; January 5, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 9, 2012 1:40 PM in response to latinogringo82

My wife is being driven crazy by this for a few weeks now! Neither iChat or Yahoo Messenger (v 3.0.1) can keep the Yahoo connection on for longer than a few hours. They drop as often as 30mins! Everything worked fine until she upgraded to the newest MBP 13" which came pre-installed with Lion. I tried downgrading to Snow Leopard, but the newest hardware is unsupported so fudge.

I have the following port triggers on my router:

User uploaded file

This is the console log when YM disconnects (at 21:08:21).

The wireless connection stays on, she can be streaming something from the local fileserver or surfing the web, YM still disconnects. I've been trying all sorts of solutions, nothing seems to have worked. Getting really annoyed of getting "You build complex software systems, why can't you figure this YM problem out" 😀....

Jan 9, 2012 2:15 PM in response to Gerhard Lazu

HI

Ports 80 and 443 should be open in most routers anyway.

I cannot say I have seen a Table where there can be multiple Trigger Ports.

If you are using iChat 3 then it can be written this was.

Trigger 5678 (UDP only) as this is the Visible Invite and Start of A/V stuff

Incoming ports are then 5060 (if iChat 3) then the group (16384-16403 for iChat 3) 16393-16402 (Smaller group but inside the iChat 3 ones)

Text Chatting in AIM is on port 5190 TCP by default in iChat versions prior to 6 as is the Login.

If you Change the Login port (to 443) then the Text chat moves

File Sharing on AIM needs port 5190 on UDP

I would tend to heave the Login Port trigger the File Sharing port.

As you can set up the Jabber one the way you have I would not alter it.

As already stated I am not seeing this here in the UK (I get pushed to a UK Yahoo Server)

I am also using UPnP in my router.

User uploaded file
10:15 PM Monday; January 9, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 9, 2012 3:55 PM in response to latinogringo82

OK, so I've cleaned those port triggers per the following articles:

iChat

YM

This is the final config:

User uploaded file

And Yahoo Messenger! just decided to disconnect again... Just to make this clear, it works perfectly fine on Snow Leopard 10.6.8, but on Lion 10.7.2 it just keeps disconnecting and then re-connecting at least once an hour. I have switched to "Behind Firewall" in YM's connection settings, fingers crossed it's going to stay up.

yahoo keeps disconnecting on ichat on lion 10.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.